Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Quarantine and Introduction to a herd

mamajet

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for tips. I'm adopting a new girl this Sunday. I currently have a herd of 4 young females. The new girl is in the upper end of their age range. Beyond the standard introduction info, does anyone have tips on intro'ing a single pig to multiple pigs? The information I've found makes me worries about bullying issues. None of my girls show any serious dominance issues at all-I've observed my smallest front-mounting on rare occasion, but that's it. They're all pretty chill little ladies.
One alternative option would be to put a cage-in-a-cage. I could give the new girl a 2x3 grid built into my larger cage for a little while to let them get used to each other and then perform the standard introductions on neutral ground and place into cleaned cage.

Next question. Quarantine. This girl has been living in isolation with weekly vet care for at least 4 weeks. How long would you quarantine?

I found that having them close where they can see, hear, smell each other seems to work quite well, so I think the "cage-in-a-cage" idea would be good. :) Also if it is a trusted place that you are getting her from, there is no real medical need to quarantine her at all, however I believe that all new pigs should have a "Adjusting time" When they first get to a new home. It gives them time to get used to the new sounds, smells, food, feeding schedule, etc of a totally new environment before they have to worry about being thrown in with pigs they have never met before.

Many Thanks!
And a bump for the morning crowd in case anyone has more advice.

I introduced a single adult boar to a herd of three adult boars. I followed the instructions on the Guinea Pig Social Life page and scrubbed the heck out of their cage. I washed the base with vinegar, I washed all their fleece things with vinegar, then I put the cage back together but moved all the hidey houses, beds, food and water dishes, etc around so it felt new to the original pigs. I sprayed everything in the cage with a light scented body mist (sweet pea). Before I put all three piggies together for their first meeting I also sprayed them with the body mist. I introduced them in a very large space they had never been in before. I was able to leave the boys in that space almost all day so that they could really work out their differences. Once I felt like things were pretty good and it didn't look like they would hurt each other I resprayed them with the body mist and put them in the nice clean cage. They still did their dominance thing and it took awhile for things to really calm down but now they are all living happily together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.