Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Quandries and conundrums...

Blog entry from old forum

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Well, we've had a bit of a turn up for the books recently. The lady never got back to us about the white aby, so I guess it must have been a male. But a couple weeks ago someone got in touch from one of the rescues and bam:

Meet Pompom:
IMAG0047

And Suvie (short for Vesuvieus):
IMAG0048

They were tiny, scrawny little things, estimated no more than 8 weeks old. In desperate need of forever homes. I could count every rib, every nodule of their spine, and sit both in the palm of my hand...

Well, the herd is most definately complete now. Except that it's not really a proper herd. We've quarentened the babies, they've been with us a fortnight now, had the old spot on and have started gaining weight so already their spines feel smoother and their ribs protrude far less. They seem bright, healthy, have taken to their veggies with gusto, play and popcorn already. By all intents and purposes they should technically be ready to go in with the others.

But I'm not so sure. I mean, they are so small... And although the biggyuns are bestest friends now and absolutely adore one another, (I caught them sleeping together in what can only be described as a dogpile in the fleecey forest this week, hehe), it wasn't without hitches at first. No blood or even fur was ever drawn but there was mounting, hackles raised, a fair bit of swearing at one another, the usual you'd expect when they're sorting out the pecking order.

I just feel Suvie and Pom are too vulnerable to go through this yet. I would never forgive myelf if they were hurt. I vowed to give them a good home, I don't want to put them in harm's way... Am I being over-protective? Or sensible? How long should I wait to introduce? I'm in a real knot over this one...

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I can't advise you on how long to wait, but Oh. My. Goodness. They are unbelieveably cute!!!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
They are so cute! I have girls but I find it easier to introduce smaller younger ones to the older, bigger piggies, because the bigger pigs are usually automatically dominant and the small ones arent. I would try introducing them and see what happens. If not the 2 cuties could always live together! Its up to you on how long you feel like you need to wait

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
xXMaggieXx;bt5167 said:
They are so cute! I have girls but I find it easier to introduce smaller younger ones to the older, bigger piggies, because the bigger pigs are usually automatically dominant and the small ones arent. I would try introducing them and see what happens. If not the 2 cuties could always live together! Its up to you on how long you feel like you need to wait

Oh I hadn't thought about it that way... I'm pretty sure that one of the original piggies in particular would like them, as she's very playful and quite frankly hyper hehe. I think she'd enjoy hanging out with the babies, they're both whizzy little things too... I'm just worried about our big momma Siggy, really. She's very big compared to them and very bossy. I suppose I could try over a weekend when I'll be around to supervise for a few days...

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Wildcavy;bt5166 said:
I can't advise you on how long to wait, but Oh. My. Goodness. They are unbelieveably cute!!!

Aren't they?! I wasn't even home when they arrived. I came in from work in a -horrible- mood and there they were in my bedrom, peeking out from under their fiddlesticks. Instant melt hehe

cross

Cavy Slave
they are beautiful

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.