Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Q about grass eating

PumpkinPunk

Cavy Slave
Spring/summer is coming and I'd love to give my pigs some outside time when the weather is nice and there's green grass to eat. However, I know my lawn at home is treated once or twice a year with chemicals/pesticides that sort of thing. Obviously, I know that immediately after treatment it would be very toxic for them, but if I waited a couple of weeks, after some good rain showers and stuff, would it be OK for my pigs to eat/play on the grass or is it always unsafe?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
No, the grass is always unsafe once treated. You can stillgrow your own grass at home if you want your pigs to have a treat, maybe bring your pigs in a neighbor's yard?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I'm afraid you won't be able to let your pigs eat the grass. Next time when it's 'treatment time' leave a couple of square metres untreated (about 15 or 20)

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
My dad sometimes puts fertilizer on our grass and he said that once after it rains it is fine for the horses and guinea pig to graze on it.

lauren

Cavy Slave
Read the bag of fertilizer. If it's manure or something organic, its' probably o.k. Many of those "fertilizers" have herbicides or pesticides in them. These chemicals can stay in the soil for years. I wouldn't want to risk it.

coolman

Cavy Slave
i hate pestidside companys

no it wouldn't be safe after that. there are some which are safe to animals but still no i wouldn't recomend it. i wish there was one which was safe to guins and rabs but there isn,t, i hate those pestidside (sorry about spelling) companys they dont make safe grass treatments. my friends little bro died from eating the grass afterwoulds it makes me mad grrrr.

PumpkinPunk

Cavy Slave
Re: i hate pestidside companys

coolman said:
my friends little bro died from eating the grass afterwoulds it makes me mad grrrr.
Oh my God that's HORRIBLE!! I can't even imagine that....wow. :(

Thanks for all of the input. I'll check with my parents and the company that treats our lawn to see exactly what it's getting treated with and go from there.

lauren

Cavy Slave
If the company says it's safe, don't believe them.

Katie

Cavy Slave
We treat our yard every year in the spring and let the pigs graze on it about a month later and we've never had any problems. The heavy rain showers will wash it away after awhile.

Denise

Cavy Slave
We left a patch of grass untreated for the pigs to graze in. They love it. It's the best part of our lawn. We let it get good and long, let them have a long graze then mow it down, and repeat the cycle again in a few days.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Don't let the grass grow too long! My boys caught ticks from long grass

Denise

Cavy Slave
Thanks Piglet! No, we don't let it get too long. Just a bit longer than the normal grass so they have a nice, soft, long blade to munch. BTW, my kids love your avatar! Did you draw it or find it somewhere?

dandelion

Cavy Slave
My dad put's limestone on the grass every year is that bad for my piggies?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.