Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Purring =)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yay!! My boy furlong just started purring when I pet him. For about a month he has never made a sound until today. Just wanted to share =)

That's awesome! Mine never purred until I had them for about five months. Chut purred then whenever I petted him. That was also after their mites finally disappeared, so that was most likely the reason he hadn't purred before. Pig also purrs, but only when he feels especially full or when he is snuggled. I held him outside when it was a bit chilly and he wouldn't stop! It's so precious because it is rare.

soooooooooooooooo cute! i love it when cats purrrrr, and so im sure ill adore it when pixie and sprite purr.

Sheesh, why does everyone have to go and steal my smiley. Waaa! When I came, nobody used it. *pout* lol

LOL. ok, ill stop using it - just for you mncavylover.

No, it's ok. I just wanted to be different, but I guess I just can't be. *sigh* I'm in an odd mood, by the way.

no problem. ive had those days.

Some piggies make a sort of purring sound when they're in heat.

GuineasGalore said:
Some piggies make a sort of purring sound when they're in heat.
really? heh! didnt know that. i learn something new every day!

lol Ruthie purrs allll the time! It is sooo cute, isn't it?

Poozy purs when I scratch her back close to her bum...and her back goes down and she sticks her nose out...kinda like a dog! lol

Ya one guinea pig i know does it lots too. The sound is sooo cute =:)

How did you know that they had mites?

When pigs have mites they itch a lot, have dandruffy skin and sometimes have scabs. They don't always like to be handled either

Exactly. They can have open sores, you can sometimes see the eggs. Fur falls out in clumps (more than shedding) and you can see the white eggs attached. The pigs may also get nippy.

What causes mites?

Good question! I have no idea...

Just guessing here from knowledge from other animals. Lowered hygene, inadequate space, stress (circular b/c they cause stress), weakened health. And of course exposure to a source of mites (ie. another piggie with mites, outside ground (grass, dirt)).

Well, nothing really causes mites, per se--they just need to come into contact with something that is carrying the parasite. Lowered hygiene, stress, and weakened health cerainly don't make it any easier for the pigs to fight them off, though.

alright thanks...; )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.