Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior purring bad or good?

b.archut21

Cavy Slave
So I have had many comment on purring. Some say it means they are annoyed. Others have said that they are happy. One person even mentioned cooing. My piggy Jewel doesnt purr, but will just sit still or whine. When she whines she seems fine. She is usually all asprawled out and relaxed. how do I know the difference?

From owning pigs for a while, in my experience with my pigs at least, purring for them can mean two different things. If it's a short sorta one second purr, that means they hear something they don't like. However when I'm petting them, two of my pigs will do long purrs, which I take to mean they are happy and content.

There are two different sounds that people can sometimes confuse. The cooing is a softer more relaxed sound which means the pig is content and feels good. The purring is louder and more abrupt. Pigs use it to let other pigs know that they are annoyed. They do the same with people.

When you pet them and they purr and just sit there, they probably figure you're so much larger than them, they can't compete for dominance but are telling you that they're annoyed. Where and how you pet them makes a difference, too. They don't like you to run your whole hand down the sides of the their body or on their back end. If you hold them on your lap, gently rub them behind their ears or on the bridge of their nose, back towards the top of their head. Gentle pets on their backs will usually calm them down, too. Some love to be rubbed under their chins.

Thank you @CavyMama,
They are confusing. I guess i will just have to learn her sounds better.

I still can't figure their sounds out. The only sound I know is when I reach in to the cage toward my pregnant pig Anya, she is due any day now and just started chattering her teeth at me two days ago when before she would come up to me if I reached in for a pet. But both my girls do this little squeak type sound over and over when I hold them for lap time or when they are exploring. I have no idea what it means though. I have seen my preg pig rumble strut when her cage mate comes near and I have heard them week for veggies and when scared by something. Other then that I am still lost. :)

Thank you @CavyMama,
They are confusing. I guess i will just have to learn her sounds better.

Hold them and pet them in different area and with different touches. You'll be able to tell what calms them down and relaxes them. I never even thought of rubbing them on the bridges of their noses until my young nephew came to visit quite a few years ago and asked to hold one. He laid on the floor with the guinea pig on his chest and gently pet the bridge of his nose with his pointer finger. The guinea pig really relaxed and fell asleep. My sister and I couldn't believe it. Some of mine like to have their feet gently rubbed, too.

When my guinea pigs are moody with each other they rumblestrut it's loud and they shake while doing it, their whole body vibrates. When my guinea pigs don't like being touched on their lower back they make the same noise. Their body shakes and it's loud. The kind of purring when they like being petted (under chin) is much different. It's soft and very different sounding-I can't explain...it's very quiet and their body doesn't rumble.

When my guinea pigs are moody with each other they rumblestrut it's loud and they shake while doing it, their whole body vibrates. When my guinea pigs don't like being touched on their lower back they make the same noise. Their body shakes and it's loud. The kind of purring when they like being petted (under chin) is much different. It's soft and very different sounding-I can't explain...it's very quiet and their body doesn't rumble.

It's probably cooing. It sounds like a tiny little higher pitched squeak....very quiet and almost sing songy...

All of my guinea pigs love having their ears rubbed. I loosely hold their ear between my thumb and pointer and very gently rub.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.