Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Mills - WHY do people buy there?

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
I was on our local paper's website and there are ads along the sides from the classifieds. This one caught my eye. The headline was "We have 26 Breeds of puppies" With all the bad press out there on puppy mills, WHY oh WHY would anyone buy from someone who has 26! breeds for sale. They can't possibly give the pups any human socialization, etc, not to mention the risks of disease, etc.

Their website says they see their dogs as family and socialize EVERY puppy. Oh Pllueeze - how can you spend any quality time when you have 6 or 8 LITTERs at a time to clean up after, etc, not to mention the adult breeders, oh, I mean 'family members' (sarcasm dripping)

Sigh...I'm just shaking my head.

(broken link removed)

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
That is sick and wrong. :mad:

I can't believe these people have the cheek to claim they love the dogs like pets. And give them lots of love and attention (even if they didn't stop to eat or sleep each "breed" - however many animals - would get less than an hour each!
And all are healthy etc? These people would have to be billionaires to pay for all the vets fees, feeding etc of 26 dogs, let alone numerous dogs of 26 different breeds!

I am so shocked it is unbelievable. I don't live in the States but is puppy farm not technically illegal? Would it be worth any of us contacting the SPCA or police to report them, at least to get them checked out? I would be happy to email if anyone has contact details.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could report them to your local animal control authorities.

Last edited:

Marina_7

Cavy Slave
The reason why people would buy from someone like that is pure ignorance! And a frame of mind that is without any sense of compassion and common sense. Alot of times people decide that they want a little puppy of certain breed on a whim and don't have the patience or know-how to look into adopting an older homeless dog. "I WANT and then GET" mentality,pretty much.

You should look into report this vendor to your local shelter.If a puppymill is involved there sure to be abused dogs and puppies.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could try reporting them first, then if nothing happens try doing something yourself. Maybe if you could visit the place pretending to be potential buyer you could see what it is like, then go the the local press and tell as many people as possible not to buy there.

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
One of my co-workers bought a puppy from mexico in a puppy mill. I told her she was nuts, and that she should just go adopt but she said she wanted a puppy...these people these days!

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
Back in the day when I was misguided-do-gooder, I worked at a store that sold puppies. I would go as far to say that most people (as individuals) do not buy their puppy from a mill directly. What happens is that the pet industry has "puppy brokers" who represent these breeders. These brokers then buy the pups from the breeders and in turn sell them to the pet store. The pet store then puts the pup on sale to the public. As sickening as it is to write this, you really cannot put a price on love; this is why a person will walk into one of these stores and drop $500 on a mutt.

In regards to the amount of dogs a mill can have- as long as they pass USDA inspection they are legal. As we all know, a mill is a place that breeds quantity and not exactly quality, and a lot of the larger mills are actually a lot nicer than what rescue sites portray, and will most likely not be shut-down like a mill in squalor (I know I am going to get flamed for writing that, but I am strictly talking about a mill's ability to go above USDA standards.) Even puppies from the "nice" mills are bred for quantity and are not allowed to live as our pets would- they are livestock.

Poe

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
If people didn't buy from these places, there'd be less animals at those shelters, waiting to be killed, because of the overpopulation.

PookiesPiggies

Cavy Slave
Don't even get me started on Puppy Mills. In Florida, we have whats called a Pet Lemon Law. Puppies and kittens must be at least 8 weeks of age with a state of Florida health Certificate which can only be obtained through a licensed veternarian. How do they get around this?...They take the puppies out of state to sell them or sell them to some naive person who only cares about those cute little puppy faces. Only then do the people wise up when they end up with puppies or kittens loaded with internal parasites, liver shunts, or even parvo in dogs or leukemia in kittens. Its sick. We have cases like this every day. We have a liver shunt doberman right now. Sweet as can be, 16 weeks old and only 15 pounds. Any moron should know with research that a puppy that little has a problem. But guess what, it was so tiny and cute. Tiny in a large breed is NOT cute, its sick. Anyone want a 2 pound Yorkie? My friend did. Tammy picked the smallest male cause she wanted a tiny dog. She got a tiny dog with a liver shunt and $2300.00 later, he has now grown into a NORMAL sized boy. I could give you story after story cause this happens daily. We had a parvo puppy die on the table on Feb. 21st. No Health Certificate, vaccinated by the breeder 5 days before it died. Told the owners that the vaccination could make the puppy sore and lethargic so when it happened, they ignored it for 3 days thinking this was normal. First test was a fecal. This dog was LOADED with hookworms and should have never been vaccinated. The weakened system actually cause the modified live virus of the vaccination to break out into the virus and killed this puppy. Parvo couldn't be confirmed by a snap test cause the vaccination was given to close to the exam date and was a hot positive anyway, but the white blood cell count was below 1,000 which was a clear confirmation of the disease by our vets. I could keep going but this puppy was a Basset Hound and is too close to home for me. It hurts to keep thinking about this. I've always said, if breeding is making you a profit, then you aren't doing it right.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.