Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Puffed Piggies... Oh no, I didn't think it was bad...

zabelly

Cavy Slave
So as I was perusing the forums here I read one that said if your piggie puffs up she is sick! My piggies occasionally puff up when they snuggle together or if I give them a treat. I thought it was something they did when they were happy! This morning I gave them a baby carrot each (which they LOVE) and they were purring and got all puffed as they devowered their treats.

They are perfectly healthy otherwise. They drink normally, eat normally, they run around all day and popcorn while chasing eachother. This puffing is something they have always done... I never thought it might be a sign that they were sick... should I take them to the vet???

I thought it was only if they puff up and have diarrhea? Mine puff up all the time when they eat their veggies. Holly more so because she's got a ton of fur.

A puffed up coat can be a sign of illness, though that doesn't necessarily mean that your pigs are sick. If they are eating, playing, and they haven't lost any weight I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on them, and if they show any other signs of illness take them in to an exotics vet.
Here's the list with signs of illness:
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

Thanks for the clarification. What I read was "a puffed up pig is a sick pig" and I got very concerned because I never want to miss an early sign of illness.

If you're not already, I would start weighing weekly. If you notice any significant drops in weight, it's usually a clear sign that something is wrong.

You'll know a sick puffed up pig when you see one. Their heads and shoulders are hunched down, the hair is puffed out, and they look obviously ill.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.