Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pudding's medical thread

puddin18

Cavy Slave
Second Veterinary Opinion about UTI

I am new around here and had posted in the Introduce Yourself section last week. I took my guinea pig Pudding to an exotic vet today because I found one in the next town over that I was not aware of before I wasted money going to a vet that knew nothing of guinea pigs and was very happy with the vet. He tested her urine (YES! My he is a she! It will be odd getting use to calling him her.) I am glad I will not have to worry about impaction as she ages though now. Anyway there were white blood cells and sludge in her urine and the ph was kind of high. He changed the antibiotic from Baytril 10 mg/ml at 1/2ml once per day to Orbax 30mg/ml at 1/2 ml once a day. So basically just a stronger dose for ten days and told me to add cranberry juice to equal parts of water everyday until we see him again in two weeks to recheck her urine to try and lower the ph.

She is still at times hunching and whimpering when urinating but still active and playful and eating and drinking as normal. I took her to the new vet because after five days I felt nothing had changed and was not at ease anyway because I wanted her urine analyzed.

Like Baytril, I have read mixed reviews on Orbax but she has been on the Baytril for five days and had no problems and I had been giving her a little bit of pro-biotic an hour or two after the Baytril. I am starting the Orbax tonite and stopping the Baytril all together.

Has anyone had good results with Orbax and UTI's? And do any of you have luck getting them to drink the water/cranberry mixture? I have to go get the cranberry here in a bit. I am hoping it's easy to find just plain cranberry juice without sugar. Anyone have a brand they recommend? As always I appreciated any friendly advice or suggestions. Thanks.

Re: Second Veterinary Opinion about UTI

Did your vet take an xray? The fact that there's sludge and she's hunching makes me think she might have stones. Cranberry juice can acidify the urine but it won't cure a UTI; it's more of a preventive measure. Pure cranberry juice is very bitter and I doubt you'll be able to get her to drink a 50/50 mixture.

He did not take an xray. I think he might at her followup if nothing has changed (let's hope it has changed for the better) and I know no one is really looking at this thread but I can't get her to drink the half and half mixture. I diluted it more than half and half and she still wouldn't touch it. I even had to go buy a new water bottle because even after removing the juice and putting just water back in she wouldn't go near the water bottle until I got her a new one. She is spoiled. Any suggestions?
I am going to go get vitamin c drops from the pet store and see if she takes those. I get her to take a little bit of diluted fresh OJ but then she gets mad and starts biting the syringe or nipping at me because she's not a fan of it. She never has liked oranges. If nothing else I might try soaking a bit of apple in the cranberry juice and see if she eats that. I am just trying to get enough in her like the vet said to try and acidify the urine and get rid of the sludge. On the upside though I haven't heard her crying much or seen her hunching so maybe the antibiotic is starting to kick in. Thanks.

He did not take an xray. I think he might at her followup if nothing has changed (let's hope it has changed for the better) and I know no one is really looking at this thread but I can't get her to drink the half and half mixture. I diluted it more than half and half and she still wouldn't touch it. I even had to go buy a new water bottle because even after removing the juice and putting just water back in she wouldn't go near the water bottle until I got her a new one. She is spoiled. Any suggestions?
I am going to go get vitamin c drops from the pet store and see if she takes those. I get her to take a little bit of diluted fresh OJ but then she gets mad and starts biting the syringe or nipping at me because she's not a fan of it. She never has liked oranges. If nothing else I might try soaking a bit of apple in the cranberry juice and see if she eats that. I am just trying to get enough in her like the vet said to try and acidify the urine and get rid of the sludge. On the upside though I haven't heard her crying much or seen her hunching so maybe the antibiotic is starting to kick in. Thanks.

I tried giving a guinea pig very dilated cranberry juice and she wouldn't touch it. Taste some and you'll see how sour and bitter it is. It won't do anything to clear up her UTI but it does affect urine ph which can make the environment unfavorable for bacterial infections to form. I'd stick with the meds. If you're syringe feeding be extremely careful so she doesn't aspirate it into her lungs which can cause pneumonia. I'd just watch to see if there's blood in the urine and watch for changes in her behavior like you're doing. The drug of choice for UTIs is usually Bactrim. I'm not familiar with Orbax so maybe someone else can address that. If you feed 1/8 of a bell pepper per day, it provides all the vitamin c she needs.

Cranberry juice may not get rid of the sludge at all -- it depends on what it's composed of. But if you want to try it, why not call the vet back and ask how you're supposed to get the pig to drink something it doesn't like. If he's got a good suggestion, post it back here -- we'd all like to know what it is.

I have fostered kittens and puppies so I understand about being cautious about the lung aspiration. I understand cranberry juice is bitter and I don't blame her for not liking it. I personally like cranberry juice though lol. She gets a slice or two of bell peppers just about everyday unless I run our for a day or two. He didn't find any blood in her urine just some wbc's and the sludge. I have not noticed any signs of blood just looking at her urine either.I actually did call him this morning and he told me to try the vitamin c drops. I have read on several vet sites from Ireland that it's impossible to acidify their urine. They seem to know much more about pigs over there then in the states. I guess I just will have to rely on the antibiotic which I do believe is working. Thanks.

I have fostered kittens and puppies so I understand about being cautious about the lung aspiration. I understand cranberry juice is bitter and I don't blame her for not liking it. I personally like cranberry juice though lol. She gets a slice or two of bell peppers just about everyday unless I run our for a day or two. He didn't find any blood in her urine just some wbc's and the sludge. I have not noticed any signs of blood just looking at her urine either.I actually did call him this morning and he told me to try the vitamin c drops. I have read on several vet sites from Ireland that it's impossible to acidify their urine. They seem to know much more about pigs over there then in the states. I guess I just will have to rely on the antibiotic which I do believe is working. Thanks.

Have you tried pure cranberry juice with no sweeteners added? I had a really hard time finding the 100% pure juice and when I bought it for my guinea pig, it was the first time I tried it. It was so strong and concentrated, it felt like my throat was burning. It's nothing at all like the sweetened juice. Diluting it only thins it but doesn't make it any less offensive to drink..... Sounds like she's improving with the meds so I'd just see how that goes. I'd skip the vitamin C drops since you're giving her peppers. Pellets are fortified with vitamin C, as well.

Yeah I will say that the straight cranberry is quite sour and I can not drink much of it. I was going to get it for her at the health food store but I don't think that there's any point if she won't even drink the diluted Ocean Spray. I will still maybe try the fresh OJ soaked apple but if that doesn't work I will just tell him I tried my best lol. She eats Oxbow adult and I have read that it maybe causes sludge so I might try Kleenmama for a while. She eats Kleenmama's timothy hay. My boyfriend went to order her some more hay and the pellets but the site wasn't working. He's an application developer and he said something was wrong with their site the other night.

Yeah I will say that the straight cranberry is quite sour and I can not drink much of it. I was going to get it for her at the health food store but I don't think that there's any point if she won't even drink the diluted Ocean Spray. I will still maybe try the fresh OJ soaked apple but if that doesn't work I will just tell him I tried my best lol. She eats Oxbow adult and I have read that it maybe causes sludge so I might try Kleenmama for a while. She eats Kleenmama's timothy hay. My boyfriend went to order her some more hay and the pellets but the site wasn't working. He's an application developer and he said something was wrong with their site the other night.

I have a sludge pig, too... a female. I switched to KM pellets about a year ago and she still has sludge. I'm really careful with her diet and feed orchard grass instead of timothy hay and try and stick with lower calcium veggies. She shares a cage with 2 other guinea pigs and neither of them have sludge so it leads me to think that it's probably more genetics than diet.

The genetic factor is sadly probably true. Her mom was a pet store pig which in turn also makes her one so I have no way of knowing her lineage. Where do you get your orchard grass? I have been debating switching to orchard or alternating that with timothy because she only gets KM timothy as of right now. There aren't really any stores around my area with Oxbow orchard grass or if there is it's very sad looking. I have ordered Oxbow online before and have gotten bad bags so I don't like to get it without seeing it.

The genetic factor is sadly probably true. Her mom was a pet store pig which in turn also makes her one so I have no way of knowing her lineage. Where do you get your orchard grass? I have been debating switching to orchard or alternating that with timothy because she only gets KM timothy as of right now. There aren't really any stores around my area with Oxbow orchard grass or if there is it's very sad looking. I have ordered Oxbow online before and have gotten bad bags so I don't like to get it without seeing it.

I order 50 lbs of Oxbow orchard grass at Pet Supplies Plus. They order and have it sent to their store where I pick it up. It costs me about $60 which includes tax. I don't buy bagged hay at all because it never seems very fresh. I've been very happy with the boxed hay. They don't charge me for shipping. I think KM also sells orchard grass and that can be ordered online and sent to your home. You can check online for the cost.

I found some Oxbow Orchard grass today in the bag (I wanted to try it before ordering a huge amount) that was really fresh looking and smelled good. She isn't in love with it but she is out of timothy completely so going to see how she does on it for a few days before I give her timothy with it. Unfortunately KM only has timothy right now. Thank you for the information though and sorry the diet hasn't helped your piggy's sludge.

I also wanted to mention that if you ever order online and get a product you're not happy with, you can call their customer service line and they'll probably send you a new shipment.

Pudding had her followup today. The wbc count was not enough that he was worried about and the sludge has been reduced. The vet gave me Fus-Sol to try and acidify the urine and reduce the sludge even more. I did switch her over to mostly orchard grass so I am not sure if that is helping or not. Anyone have experience with Fus-Sol? I know they use it for rabbits a lot. I am suppose to give her .25ml by mouth once a day for three weeks then he is going to recheck the urine.It did make me feel better to hear and see (he showed me the tube) that the sludge issue had gotten better.

So I took another urine sample (this is the third one) to the vet yesterday. He said the urine looks great now and the sludge has diminished even more but now there are high glucose levels. I have quit giving her the vitamin C drops and didn't give her a whole lot per day anyway. I was giving them along with her normal diet for a few weeks to see if they helped the sludge since the vet said to try. He wants to see her and get another sample in two weeks to see if the glucose is down. So I will not give her her apples slices until the appointment. That is really the only sugary thing she gets. That is the only fruit she seems to like and she gets a couple of small slices two or three times a week. Should I stop the bell peppers and romaine too?

I also recently have her completely on timothy KM pellets now instead of Oxbow. Anyone know if those could cause high glucose levels?
She also has been eating more lately and by that I mean instead of her 1/8th of a cup lasting all day and up to midday the next day she wakes me up at 5 or 6 in the morning wanting fed. Is that normal for their appetite to change like that? She will be one August 1st.

I emailed Oasis to see if their drops contain any unlisted glucose or sugar. Hopefully they know and get back to me. I think that is what is causing the glucose in her urine. I really like her vet but I don't have $200.00 to spend if all it is is drops I no longer give her. I don't really know what else it would be seeing as her glucose levels were fine the first three urine samples.
Forgive me for rambling. I just wondered if anyone else has ever had glucose problems with their pig. Thanks a lot everyone.

1: I wouldn't stop the Bell Peppers, but Romaine should be switched to Red or Green Leaf Lettuces, ideally. Romaine often causes White spots in Piggy-pee!

2: I don't think KMS pellets would cause any problems in Pigs unless you are feeding pellets that only certain-aged Piggies should have to Pigs out of that age area. Her appetite may be up because she likes the pellets more! My girls NEVER finished their entire bowls of pellets until I switched to KMS. But are you referring to pellets, or she wakes you up wanting Veggies?

___

Good luck! Hope I have helped!

;)

She wakes up wanting pellets. I was wondering if she just likes them more as well. lol. I sometimes give her a tiny bit more before she goes to bed hoping she wont wake me up at five in the morning.
I get confused on the red and green leaf lettuces. Does the container or bag specifically say green or red leaf lettuce? There is a artisan lettuce I wasn't sure about either. (broken link removed) Are any of those safe? Thank you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe KM pellets contain molasses which is a sweetener. You might want to post a thread on guinealynx to ask for opinions on guinea pigs with elevated glucose levels and whether you should cut back on pellets since they're sweetened. The sweetener is probably what gives the pellets their good taste.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe KM pellets contain molasses which is a sweetener. You might want to post a thread on guinealynx to ask for opinions on guinea pigs with elevated glucose levels and whether you should cut back on pellets since they're sweetened. The sweetener is probably what gives the pellets their good taste.

I looked at the ingredients closer and yes KM pellets do contain cane molasses but Oxbow does too. I am wondering if maybe KM contains more though since her urine was fine before I switched completely over to KM a couple of weeks ago and it would explain why she eats the pellets much quicker then the Oxbow pellets. She was not on the KM the first two times he did a urinalysis when her glucose levels were normal. I started her on KM around the 10th of June. So now I am not sure. Thanks.

A very sleepy pig...

I apologize if my post is repetitive. I tried to find threads about lethargy pertaining to my questions but couldn't find any.
I was gone all day yesterday and came home and Pudding was fine. She was quite sleepy and not moving around much around 11 last night and I thought she must just be extra sleepy or bored since I was gone all day. She woke me up at 5:30 as usual in the morning to be fed a little bit and then she didn't make any more noise until I got up for the day. She has been in her igloo all day for the most part and doesn't try to fight me getting her out like she normally does.

She is eating and drinking fine and I weighed her and she weighs her normal approximate 2.5 pounds. Here eyes are kind of dull like they are when she had her uti but she is not crying or whimpering like she is in pain. She is just not herself.
Does anyone have pigs who just have off days? I try not to be paranoid because it is not good to stress but I am worried she is sick. I will take her to the vet if need be I just wondered if anyone has experienced a randomly very sleepy pig then was fine the next day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.