Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty Puberty - when and what to expect?

Murk21

Cavy Slave
When does puberty hit boars and for how long does it last? I have 2 7-week old brothers who are trying to mount each other more often than not during floor time. They don't seem to do it as much in their cage. Is it too early for puberty or is this just the beginning? I'm just curoius as to what to expect. Will dominance be established eventually or will there be a struggle all through puberty? Before we got the little guys I read somewhere on the Internet that getting 2 males from the same litter would help them get along better, but now the more I read it sounds like personality and cage size play a bigger factor. Is this true? Thanks!

I'm not sure what to expect with two going through puberty but I took this video of my Buddy just starting to do his puberty thing with his two adult male cage mates. It's pretty much like this every time they have floor time. Lots of humping, squeaking and a little bickering. A bigger cage helps a lot but I think more important than that is personality. I had one boar that would not get along with anyone no matter how much room he had. I have 4 boars now and all get along great.

Normal Adolescence Behavior - Male Guinea Pigs - YouTube

Buddy is a persistent lil guy (like mine)! Your piggies are adorable and i love the idea of using that box for for the hay! How old is Buddy? I'm just wondering if 7 weeks is young for puberty or if this is just the beginning :)

In that video he is 4 months old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.