Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vision Pros and Cons

Silver_mist

Cavy Slave
what are the pros and cons of guinea pigs in your experience, also, how loud are they?

The Pros far outweigh the cons. As to how loud they are depends on the Piggy.

Pros:
- They are hilarious to watch
- They are nice to put in your lap for petting
- They are adorable
- It feels nice to take care of another living creature

Cons:
- They are high maintainence

Especially if you have boars, you have to groom a lot of icky parts.

They *are* pretty loud wheekers sometimes. Anytime I rustle a plastic bag or open the fridge, the sirens (AKA cavies) go off. They're daily noises besides that are not very loud. I had my latest pair in my room for a few weeks and I slept soundly.

I never thought of having a guinea pig as a pet until we were given one in an emergency situation. We now have four.

I'm not sure how to sort out the pro/con aspect, but things that are really great/easy about piggies is that they are easy to love, very interesting, not overly demanding for the most part -- meaning that if they have a friend and you provide good food, water, and a roomy pen, they don't need the constant attention of a dog for the most part. But they also receive affection better than most cats. They are a lot of fun to watch when they explore, popcorn, yawn, snooze with their chicken legs stretched out, etc.

The challenging part is that they are a lot more complicated than people think. It's hard to diagnose their illnesses. They are easily injured. The need more space then people think and they need a clean pen and good food and water. They are more expensive than people think. They wiggle their way into your heart and mind and you can't stop thinking about them and you can run the risk of becoming addicted. Your heart will break everytime you see a pig abused, and you will stop going to pet stores because you realize what torture this sweeties go through in the mills and backrooms. You will be sad that you can't save them all. You will have to restrain yourself when you hear "starter pet" or "just a guinea pig." You won't believe how much you love them and sometimes that hurts.

As far as noise -- two of our pigs are mostly quiet, one makes some noise. They mostly whistle around food time. Our fourth sounds like a siren when he wheeks, and does it not only for food but when he is lonely (he's blind and hard of hearing so he can't always tell where people or the other pigs are). But he was entirely mute the first 2 weeks we had him, so you may not know the real personality of your pig until you've had him/her awhile.

(broken link removed) You got me to thinking. Yeah, there are Cons. Vet bills, constant cleaning, you name it. But the Pros make the Cons immaterial. They love you unconditionally which makes the cons worth it.

(broken link removed) Has some wonderful thoughts!

I look at it this way. I am an old lady, 3 children, one granddaughter. I changed stinky diapers, got up in the middle of the night to feed and console and on and on. But it was worth it.

Pros: they are cute, fun to watch and very loveable. They arent stinky. They are large enough that children can handle them comfortably.
Cons: They are a little expensive to feed, you may not have access to an experienced vet. Our vet is not and the nearest onewho is is 4+ hours away.

Pros:
They're super sweet pets
They're adorable
They can be taught tricks
They're so entertaining
They're soft
They're easier then a cat, dog rabbit, ect
Such big personalities in such small animals
Cons
They're very very delicate
They're more work then people think they are
Can be loud, if they have big personalities
Can smell
Most vets don't know much about them
They're rodents, with some people have problems with
A bit expensive

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.