Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Problem with washing fleece!

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
So I've been using fleece bedding for about 2 years now, just shaking it out in the yard and throwing it in the washer, but my dad moved a load of piggy blankets from the washer into the dryer for me a few days ago and found a ridiculous amount of hair stuck in the washer, and apparently that's very bad for our type of washing machine, as it wasn't built to handle that amount of hair and buildup in there.

I have a long-haired piggy who sheds a LOT, so there's always going to be a lot of hair. Are there any good ways to get the hair off of the fleece before putting it in the washer/dryer?

I am glad you wrote this....I just started using fleece and I have a piggy with long hair too so I am very curious to see what others say

The only thing I have really seen is people saying to use a lint roller. I just switched over to fleece and have washed it only once at this point (after about 4-5 days), and tried to lint roll it. It was basically impossible! After about 5-6 sheets I gave up and just threw it in the washer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm, I'll look for that brush.
I don't need ALL the fur to be gone from the fleece, I just need it to be a more reasonable amount. I mean, we also have a cat and a dog and there's always a bit of fur on everything we wash, but the amount on the piggy blankets it far above and beyond the normal amount.

You can just use regular old yellow rubber gloves instead of the pet brush also! I just hold the fleece tight and sweep my hands over it with the gloves and it balls up the fur so I can just pick it up and put in the garbage. I think I read that as a tip from someone else on here once before. Works really well for me.

I have the same problem. I am thinking of adding a layer of cut to size sheet material to the top. That way there is still something soft and they have plenty of padding, but sheets shake out SOOOOOOOOOO much better! Just post on Freecycle that you are looking for old bed sheets. Anything 100% cotton will still feel nice for them...flannel would work as well, but again harder to clean. We are moving this week and I have been thinking about this alot.

I vacuum and sweep mine. Then I take a brush to it. Then I shake it. Then I sit down because I am totally exhausted from the process. Then I put it in a mesh drawstring laundry bag and put it in the wash.
I use uhaul blankets, towels and fleece. For 2 cages it is a lot come laundry day.
The last month I have been taking everything to a Laundromat. I am able to wash and dry around 5-6 yards total of fleece, 7 - 8 large towels, and 2 uhaul blankets for around $6 using those industrial sized washers.
I think I will continue to do that because I can never seem to get enough of the hay and hair off to wash in my personal machine.

That is why I am thinking of the sheet. The hay is ridiculous.

I use a damp sponge on the furniture for cat hair. I wonder if this would work for the fleece? Also, the 3M Fur-Minator works well. Ihave one for the house and one for the car.

@Wubymom-the reason for fleece is that it wicks the urine away to the absorbant layer below and your pigs stay dry. I would think if you just put a sheet on top it will have wet spots that your pigs will have to sit/walk/lay around on.

I guess my pigs don't shed as much as some because I don't have a problem with the hair. As for the hay, I take my "piggie blanket" outside on wash day, clamp it on the fence and use a whisk broom to get the hay off. I have heard of the fur-b-gone brush but a whisk broom works for me. Also most of the hay is on the removable pad I have in the kitchen area. Twice a day when we spot clean I take it outside and whisk broom it too then return it to the kitchen tray.

I guess my pigs don't shed as much as some because I don't have a problem with the hair. As for the hay, I take my "piggie blanket" outside on wash day, clamp it on the fence and use a whisk broom to get the hay off. I have heard of the fur-b-gone brush but a whisk broom works for me. Also most of the hay is on the removable pad I have in the kitchen area. Twice a day when we spot clean I take it outside and whisk broom it too then return it to the kitchen tray.
That is GENIUS. I'll just have to figure out what to use to clamp it to the fence, but I think that will work very well.

Thank you so much for the idea!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.