Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Problem with flies around cage

Ambaird

Cavy Gazer
Hi I am having a problem with flies around the cage. We have 1 skinny pig and use a combination of towel bedding and paper bedding for her cage. We clean the cage a least once a week but seem to have a fly problem now. It has gotten so bad now that the flies are in other areas of the house even the basement. I thought they were fruit flies but they don't have red heads. They are very very tiny black flies. We have been using fly tape and fruit fly traps now that seem to help a little bit but aren't totally solving the problem. I need to get rid of these things as they are taking over my house. My husband of course wants to get ride of the guinea pig but that would break my daughter's heart. She takes such good care of her. My daughter gives her a bath once a week with the big cage cleaning but nothing seems to help with these flies. I have even taken apart the cage and cleaned it completely. I have attached a photo of a fly. Any ideas on what these flies are and how to get rid of them. Thanks so much. Problem with flies around cage

Last edited:
It's the food scraps in the cage that attracts them. So keeping the food picked up after the pig eats will definitely help.

If they're like the infestation I had, they congregate on the ceiling at night. I went around every night with a vacuum cleaner and was able to keep the population to just a few, but never to get rid of them. I also tried all the fruit fly traps I could read about, but mine must not have been fruit flies, because they weren't at all interested.

i finally bought a bug zapper and put it on one end of the cage. It does pop when a fly hits it, but it only took the pigs about a day to stop jumping when a fly got zapped. The zapper finally got them all.

Hi, I'm new here so please forgive me if I am speaking out of turn. But they could be phorid flies. They look just like fruit flies but have more of a humped back and black eyes not red. They are attracted to decaying food matter, poop and urine. I would do as bpatters suggested and keep the food scraps cleaned up as much as possible as well as spot cleaning the cage if your daughter isn't already doing that.

eta: If you want to try a homemade remedy to catch and kill the flies you can mix vinegar and dish soap in a cup, cover it with saran wrap and poke holes in the saran wrap. It should attract the bugs and once they get in, they can't get out.

Yes they are all over the ceiling at night. Will try the vacuum tonight. What bug zapper did you get? Will try that too. Thanks so much. The food bowl only has the food mix from the pet store. Any fresh food is given outside of the cage but will watch food too.

Yes I have tried that mixture and it helps a little but not getting rid of them. Will look into that fly and remind my daughter to spot clean as much as possible. Thanks!

It's the food scraps in the cage that attracts them. So keeping the food picked up after the pig eats will definitely help.

If they're like the infestation I had, they congregate on the ceiling at night. I went around every night with a vacuum cleaner and was able to keep the population to just a few, but never to get rid of them. I also tried all the fruit fly traps I could read about, but mine must not have been fruit flies, because they weren't at all interested.

i finally bought a bug zapper and put it on one end of the cage. It does pop when a fly hits it, but it only took the pigs about a day to stop jumping when a fly got zapped. The zapper finally got them all.
@bpatters - you crack me up!!! I probably shouldn't be reading these threads while answering phones here at the full-time job cause I can't stop laughing picturing the piggies jumping when I a fly gets zapped - while trying to talk on the phone. Oh boy!!!

Since I work part-time at Walmart and tend to bring home fruit flies every summer, I saw bug zappers at BBB on Sunday, so when I go back for my third box of grids, I'll pick one up. Walmart has switched over to Christmas already, so our bug zappers have been shipped back to the warehouse already.

I am not sure what type of cage you have, but if you have anything with wood that might be something to look out for. Before I upgraded my cage, part of the back wall of the cage was made of wood. We had some flies because the wood was soiled a bit by the guinea pigs and then even when I cleaned them and the cage really well, they seemed to stay in the wood. I have since upgraded to a fully c&c cage that has no wood in any part of it. The flies disappeared and haven't been back since.

That might not be an issue for you, but I thought I would mention it. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.