Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting probably adopting 2 special needs boys. . .

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
so, i wanted to bring you all into this with me. i have done alot of reading and research so far, though i'm sure i haven't even begun to read EVERYTHING available. i came across a rescue near me that has 2 pairs of lethal pigs they're fostering. i contacted the main person, we've had several e-mail discussions, and right now i'm seriously considering fostering/adopting one of the pairs. it would help out the rescue - they could take in other pigs. also i've been looking for special needs pigs to adopt/foster for awhile now. the 2 boys (the other set is 2 girls) she has now are about 2 years old. they are deaf and blind, and developmentally delayed - they still act like babies (cuddling together,etc). they have problems with their teeth and right now the rescue has learned, from their vet, how to trim the front teeth themselves, and have a special instrument for that purpose. they would also train me to do this. they are also on a special feeding regiment.

as i said, i've done lots of reading, and have gotten lots of info from their current home. i'm going to meet them in person next weekend. everyone is taking this slowly. their current mom has become quite attached to them (understandably) and will only let them go after insuring they will be well cared for. i know pretty well how much i can handle, and what's too much. so, we'll meet and greet next weekend, and take the final decision making process one step at a time.

i want to include you all in the process, and invite any ideas, suggestions, feedback. anything i haven't thought of? these are very special pigs, and my goal is to make sure they have the very best quality of life they can, for whatever time they may have left (hopefully alot!). i do it for a living (I work in hospice) and now want to do it for these amazing creatures. yeah, yeah, pigs have stolen my heart. . .deal with it! :p

the two boys would stay together and in their own cage - they would not be able to move in with my other pigs, mostly because their health issues make them too vulnerable to live with other in a herd.

i'll keep you all posted as we go along. i'm so glad this site is here, for support, and as a resource. thanks all!

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
You are an amazing person for taking on these little ones! I cannot input anything information wise because I have no experience but good luck with them!

pinky

Cavy Slave
If their current mom is really attached to them, could you possibly foster a different pair? I wouldn't change a routine that is already working. I'll bet there are a lot more special needs ones out there that could benefit from someone like you who wants to help some needy little ones. I think what you're doing is wonderful.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
thanks for all your supportive and kind words. @pinky, their current mom has a total of 4 lethals, and she's committed to the rest of her rescue pigs as well. at the end of the school year she ends up with a waiting list of pigs needing to be re-homed! (makes me sad and mad at the same time - the whole non-sense of keeping guinea pigs as classroom pets [yes, i know some of them are well cared for] :mad:) the the amount of time she must devote to the lethals is much more than the attention needed by healthy pigs, so sending 2 of the lethals to another home, would free her up to take many more than 2 pigs in to re-home. she is attached, but it's been my experience that with any critter than has special needs, or needs special care, the depth of the relationship is more intense and deeper. she'd be keeping the femal lethal pair. she's willing to give the male up to another home, provided whoever takes them, loves them too. hope that makes sense. :cheerful:

pinky

Cavy Slave
thanks for all your supportive and kind words. @pinky, their current mom has a total of 4 lethals, and she's committed to the rest of her rescue pigs as well. at the end of the school year she ends up with a waiting list of pigs needing to be re-homed! (makes me sad and mad at the same time - the whole non-sense of keeping guinea pigs as classroom pets [yes, i know some of them are well cared for] :mad:) the the amount of time she must devote to the lethals is much more than the attention needed by healthy pigs, so sending 2 of the lethals to another home, would free her up to take many more than 2 pigs in to re-home. she is attached, but it's been my experience that with any critter than has special needs, or needs special care, the depth of the relationship is more intense and deeper. she'd be keeping the femal lethal pair. she's willing to give the male up to another home, provided whoever takes them, loves them too. hope that makes sense. :cheerful:

Makes perfect sense. Those little ones are lucky you've offered to help.....

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
I don't often reply anymore, but I will say, I admire you. My grandmother was very ill at the end of her life, and Hospice was called in. I was young, but they took care of us and her, and helped us to ease her peacefully from this world. They were champions of what she wanted, not what the nursing home wanted.
Anyways, And to take on two lethal pigs is a great task. It sounds like you've thought a lot about it, and are as prepared as you can be. It will take even more time to get then used to you, I would assume. I hope the meeting goes great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.