Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Probably a super dumb question...

EverGreenly

Cavy Slave
So, I have two gerbils and one piggy. Walter (my piggy) is finally getting his new cage on Tuesday!!! Amazon.com: Midwest Expandable Guinea Habitat: Pet Supplies <--this one!

Anyways, wanted to get that out. I have some nesting fluff, I use it for my gerbils and I noticed that the packages says good for piggies, bunnies, hamsters, gerbils, rats etc. I know that this fluff also comes in the big tunnels that you can buy at the petstore.

Is this fluff safe for pigs? I would never want to put anything in the cage to harm my boy, but if it was something he would enjoy I'll put it in there. I also have some crinkled paper that I use for the gerbils too, would this be okay?

Sorry for the essay :/

I didn't know the answer to this myself, but I used the search bar to see if someone had asked this before. Here's a good link to the answer I found...

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/62909/

Seems the consensus is the fluff is no good. However, the crinkled paper should be fine if Walter finds it fun to play in.

Check out these links to the home page for more ideas of fun (cheap) toys for you your piggy.

Guinea Pig Toys and Play

Guinea Pig Accessories

Thank you so much!

The short answer to that question would be a resounding NO. Guinea pigs don't generally "nest" and would be more likely to try to ingest the fluff.

Don't be fooled by petstore products that have pictures of guinea pigs on the package and say "For guinea pigs". They do that with a lot of products that simply are not good for (and could potentially be harmful to) guinea pigs.

If you are looking for loose bedding for pigs, try Carefresh, aspen or kiln-dried pine.

Carefresh is a good bedding as in absorbant but can be dusty and expensive.
Aspen is much less expensive but can be heavy when wet

You might also look into using fleece (plus absorbant layer underneath). You can get more information about it here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/21568/

Thanks! I'm most likely putting fleece into his new cage when it comes Monday. Bedding gets expensive around here quick. Closest non-family run pet store is an hour and a half away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.