Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Prim's Baby Piglets!

klp065

Cavy Slave
I posted on the forum earlier about my pregnant piggie, Prim. Well, I think labor is soon. Babies have been moving around for almost two weeks. She has been not showing any signs of lethargy until this afternoon. She's in her pigloo laying on her side while the babies move like crazy. She tries to get comfy and then reaches down there as if to pull a poop out but doesn't. She does this and then lays down like she's exhausted and the. Reaches down there again. Her pelvic bones are starting to separate but not fingertip length. What do y'all think? Soon? Also, the male is in a separate cage next to her (missexing). Will he stress her out or should I move his c and c cage?

If the cage the mother is in is baby-proofed you can keep them close. However, since she'll be going into heat immediately after giving birth, maybe it would be best not to have the distraction.

UPDATE: Still no babies...she is due any day now. She is constantly eating and drinking. Her babies are playing soccer in there and today I felt her tummy and one piglet grinded its teeth on me? I could even hear it! - is that normal?

I am so impatient! I can't wait to see them!

Also, I saw that we are keeping one thread per pig....I would love to share pics when babies are born, how would I change the title of the thread? Or would I have to keep the same title?

Do pregnant females put off a pheromone or smell right before labor? My male g pig who is housed separately is going nuts all off a sudden trying to get to her...

It's possible that she's giving off some scent that's driving him wild. Females go into heat immediately after they give birth, so if she's close to having the pups, she could be giving off those signals.

Yes, I believe she's very close. ( well Ive been sayin that for a week now... It's like staring at a pot of water waiting for it to boil) thanks @bpatters

I know there are two diff Prims recently on here (both pregnant) but my prim finally gave birth this morning! She had four and one did not survive. The sac was not ripped open. I just wish I was there. The three little darlings are doing well. Exploring yet staying together. I was worried because she was way overdue and I was going to take her to the vet today but I guess she read my mind and decided to give birth this morning. I will post pictures tonight after they are all dry and momma is not so frantic!

Some piggies are pregnant for up to 72 days, maybe that could explain why you think she was over due? Congratulations on the babies and I'm so sorry about the one you lost. Hope so see some pigtures later. Don't forget to sex the babies at 2 weeks and separate the males from the females

So far, I think there are 2 boys and 1 girl. I am going to continue to check daily. One still has the umbilical cord on his tummy. Will that eventually fall off?

[GuineaPigCages.com] Prim's Baby Piglets!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Prim's Baby Piglets![GuineaPigCages.com] Prim's Baby Piglets![GuineaPigCages.com] Prim's Baby Piglets!

New cage with divider so pups can visit daddy...
[GuineaPigCages.com] Prim's Baby Piglets!

They are just too cute. the umbilical cord will probably either fall off or the mom will chew it off. I don't think its anything to worry about. Congrats on the babies.

I also noticed some spotting. I saw on guinea lynx that a little spotting is normal for a day or two. Has that happened to anyone?

The babies are ADORABLE! Is there hay availiable somewhere other than the hay balls? It seems like hard for the babies to get to it...

I noticed that! Haha I pulled some out for them :) thanks for pointing that out!

Congrats on the pups!! I am the mommy of the other Prim! :eek: But she had her babies nearly two weeks ago. I have found homes for both of those babies, and it will be so hard to give them up...I've grown so attached! Are you keeping these babies?

My best friend has a 2x4 cage ready to go. She will be taking the momma and the baby girl. I will be keeping the dad and two baby boars in my 2x6 cage. I will cry when Prim leaves but she's close by and I can visit whenever I want. :) I hope she bonds well with her baby girl.

Such big eyes on this tiny pup! Aww...so adorable!❤️

Some spotting is normal for a day or so. A lot of blood, though, is not. Keep an eye on her eating and drinking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.