Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Preventing Guinea's getting URI?

emmanicole

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,

This is my first time ever owning Guinea pigs, and I've had my two for about 4 months now. I love them to pieces, and I want to keep them as healthy as I can. I give them three meals a day of fresh veggies, and a little fruit.
(Don't worry, I make sure they are the right portions so my guinea's are not overweight.) They always have access to hay, and clean water.

I would just like to know are there any other precaution's I could take into making sure my Guinea's have the best life possible? I'm mostly worried about them getting a URI, just because I know how fast they can go downhill. Does anyone have any tips of advice as to what I can do to keep them healthy, especially this winter? (I live in New Zealand, so it's just starting to get colder now.)

Anything would be greatly appreciated!

For starters, keep them indoors, for obvious reasons. I know keeping guineas outdoors in hutches is much more common in Australia/NZ than many other places. I have no idea where yours live, but I figured I might as well at least mention it. ;)

As long as they're in a temperature-controlled environment free of drafts, they'll be fine.

I give them three meals a day of fresh veggies, and a little fruit.

This is a lot of veggies. Hay should be the largest part of their diet to keep the gut moving and to wear down teeth. If they're filling up on veggies, they might not eat enough hay every day. Otherwise, just check them every day when you handke them, and weigh weekly. They should be fine.

Make sure your guinea always can have fresh water, and can always have pellets and hay. Keep their cage clean, and make sure you bathe them in summer or when they get dirty. If you have a litterpan, make sure that is kept clean. Make sure to brush them once a day, and you should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.