Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Preparing for unexpected labor

Rummy

Cavy Slave
So, I have a guinea pig about to give birth in the next week or so, I think. My full story is on the intro forum but the TLDR version is I thought I bought 2 boys from a pet store but it was 2 girls and one was already pregnant. The babies can be seen moving and the poor mama Howie is HUGE. I'm wondering what gear i should have on hand. I've ordered 2 16 oz. bags of critical care, picking up alfalfa hay tomorrow, i have gloves and clean towels near the cage, our old pet store cage is set up nest to our 4x2 cage and ready to go in case our other lady Eddie starts fighting with her (we kept their boy names), and we are hand feeding Howie spinach and parsley every day to help with calcium and vitamin c with out over dosing Eddie. Is there anything else i should have ready or get to make sure i'm fully prepared? I may have a lot done but there are so many different opinions and experiences that i would love to hear what everyone has seen, done, or read about that can possibly help. Thank you! I also have grids on order since we are extending our cage and keeping them (neuter or separation depends on gender mix of babies).

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
You probably will just find the babies in the cage. Guinea pigs give birth quickly and quietly and often at night. Most of them do not want to be disturbed during the process.