Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Preparation for fleece when making a cozy?

Kookookchoo

Cavy Slave
Hi, just wondering, but do you need to prepare the fleece in any way if you're going to use it to make a cozy? Like if you're using it for bedding, you would need to wash it multiple times to get rid of the waterproofing, so I was wondering if you had to do something like that for cozy fleece? What about other fabrics, such as cotton?

Thanks! (Sorry if this is a kinda dumb question. :p )

I've wondered that myself, but I think the most logical answer would be to treat it the same way you would if you were using the fleece to make a liner. If the piggy wees on its bed you wouldn't want it to puddle and end up with a wet piggy.:sick:

As for other fabrics, my only suggestion would be to do at least one wash and dry for 2 reasons.

1) To allow for any shrinkage before you sew your accessory

2) I've heard that fabric bolts are dusted with some type of chemical. If that truly is the case then it would be healthier to wash it first.

Ok, thanks very much for the advice! :)

Yeah, I washed the cotton fabrics already, but have yet to buy the matching fleece for the cozies. And I plan to get boning to keep it open.

Another question, how often do you wash cozies? Do you wash it once a week when changing the cage, or more frequently?

I'll let you guys know how it turns out! lol

I think it's a wash on an as-needed basis. Depends on if your piggies make it messy.

I suggest washing and drying any fleece you are using to make into a cosy the 3x.

For fabric like cotton, I would say to wash and dry it one time to get the shrinking out of the way.

As far as how often to wash, I suggest doing it with your cage changes. Pigs use them all the time, and pee on them just as much as the fleece in the cage. I clean my cage about every 4-5 days, and I was all the cuddle cups and everything else that's being used at the same time to keep things fresh.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.