Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Pregnant?

katiebby21

Cavy Slave
I just got two female guinea pigs.
& one looks a tad fatter than the average.
I haven't took them to the vet yet, but I am this week.

What are the signs of pregnancy?

There aren't really any signs of a pregnant guinea pig. When my girl was pregnant I didn't know until I felt her babies moving around inside her. At that point she was probably about a month pregnant. With another girl it was an accident and I didn't know she was pregnant until it was about 5 days before she has her babies.

Weigh her every day before you feed her. If she is steadily gaining weight she may be pregnant. You can also gently put your hand under her tummy, sometimes you can feel the babies moving. Those are the ways that I know.

A question for those that know much more than me: Is there really no way to palpate a guinea pig like there is for a rabbit?

How old are they?
You need to be very attentive, take the pigs to a good exotics vet now & get them both properly sexed, keep them separated for now as I assume you did go ahead & purchase them from a pet store where this is common. Also make sure you have a large vet fund in case something goes wrong, should one or both be pregnant you need an emergency number to your vet clinic and a plan on how to get there should complications occur.

You need to weigh them both regularly as both might be pregnant unfortunately. The issue here if they are young, is tracking the normal weight gain vs. possible pregnancy gain. If you notice the pig is growing particularily in the pelvic & lower tummy area it could be a sign.

If that's indeed the case you need a plan for what to do with the babies. The gestation period usually varies between 59-73 days. You need to separate the babies after three weeks to be safe.

An alternative depending on how far along your pig(s) are, is to terminate the pregnancy. But all surgeries carry a risk, just like the pregnancy.

Guinea Lynx is a great source of information. I wish your pigs the best & relly hope they aren't pregnant & that you take responsability if that is the case. Good luck & keep us updated!
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

Last edited:
These are pet store pigs, correct? I would not be shocked if one/both end up being either sick or pregnant. If you hadn't been so stubborn and adopted pigs you wouldn't be in this situation. I hope you are prepared to spend the money on whatever vet care they may need.

Anyways, ditto what the others have said. Monitor the weight and take her to the vet. I suggest you do some research on pregnant pigs in case you do have a momma or two on your hands. Some say that guinea pigs look very much like a pear when they are farther along.

Keep us posted and I hope that she is just pleasantly plump and not expecting!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.