Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnant?

texascavycabins

Cavy Slave
I got into the cavy scene about a month ago when I rescued 2 female piggies. They have integrated nicely into our zoo! They currently reside in a 3'x5' C&C two story cage. I noticed that one of them was getting fat....now she's even bigger. After some research, I'm afraid she is pregnant! She was housed with a male when I rescued her, and I took the two females to prevent this problem... now I know it dosen't take much! I have been frantically learning everything and anything I can about taking care of pregnant piggies and pups, but I am a dog trainer! I know nothing (except what I've been reading in the last month) about piggies! WHAT DO I DO?:eek:

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Here's a really good page with information on pregnancy: https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

There are a lot of people here who have been in simular situations. They'll be able to help more. Good luck. I know this is really scary.

Just a question though: Where did you rescue her? Did you "rescue" her from a pet store or did you get them from an actual rescue? If you got them from an actual rescue, I wonder why she was housed with her brother. That is very unresponsible. You may want to let them know.

EDIT: You may want to double check the sex of both of them. Unresponsible rescues and especially pet stores are notorious for missexing. Here's a good page on that: https://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm. If you aren't confident in doing this I'd take them to an experienced cavy savvy vet.

texascavycabins

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the great info! I am a trainer at a local pet store (please don't groan! We take very good care of our pets! Fresh veggies and fruit everyday, clean cages and lots of love!) Someone left a cage of 3 piggies outside the door. There are several suckers who take in abandoned animals, and I am one of them. I took one home and proceded to find this website and buy 2 books. The next day I looked into the C&C cages and took the other female from the store. The third was a male. I am 98% sure of that, but they are both going to the vet this week to confirm. I am one of those people that have to have the best for all of my animals. My friends say my small animal habitats look better than the ones at the zoo! I just want to make sure that if she is in doubt pregnant, that I don't do anything to hurt her or the piglets! :) Thankyou so much for the links! I appreciate it!
P.S. My brother is a HUGE wings fan! I would love to see your cage!

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
As far as you taking in these pigs and trying to get better information on them I congradulate you for that. You are doing the right thing in bringing them to the vet to have them both resexed and checked over. A good cavy vet will also be able to confirm the pregnancy and give a good, educated caculation about how many pups she is carring if she is indeed pregnant.

Young guinea pigs usually will be ok giving birth to their offspring. The other female will be able to stay with her and help her to raise her pups. You do need to have the BOTH checked though to make sure the second female is not also pregnant, because if she is, when the first sow goes into labor, the second one could also causing her to deliver her pups prematurely. Babies are born fully developed, walking and running shortly after birth. They will nurse from mom, but also eat alfalfa pellets, hay, and veggies. They need to be weighed every day to ensure they are eatting enough and striving, a kitchen scale works wonderfully for that. Make sure all pups are resexed and males are seperated from mom no later than three weeks.

Right now mom needs a good veggie diet, alfalfa hay and pellets and you need to begin babyproofing your CC cage as the babies will get caught in the grids. Here is some great informaiton on the care of guinea pigs
https://guinealynx.com/healthycavy.html. I am not sure what you are currently feeeding your pigs, but I will assume it is the food you sell at the petstore. Recommended companies for guinea pig foods are (broken link removed) and
(broken link removed)
Do not ever feed guinea pigs food with the small bits and "treats" in them, only pellets. They should have fresh hay 24/7.

Hope the links I provided are helpful to insure your pigs are provided with the best possible care. Good Luck.

Last edited:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
It's great that you took in these girls. You have gotten some great info so I have little to add.

I did want to explain, and please don't take this too harshly as I'm just trying to explain our point of view, that it doesn't really matter that the pet store you work at takes great care of the animals it sells.

The fact is that by selling animals the store is supporting breeding mills, neglect and overpopulation. Those GPs you rescued very likely came from the same store you work for. Can you see the problem the pet store is creating? The store sold them 1-2 GPs, the new owners let them breed, now that they have too many they are dumping the GP back with your store and it looks like one of the GPs is pregnant, creating even more animals in need of homes.

Most people wouldn't have bothered dumping the animals they no longer want back at the store they got them at. Many would simply let them go in a park or woods. So for the 3 that actually were dumped at a place they may be safe there are probably at least 6-10 more that were "set free" to die horribly.

Pet stores help perpetuate the myth of small animals as disposable pets. No matter how well you cared for them in the store the end result is what you found on your doorstep.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Oh, I thought of something else while I was in bed last night. (Apparently this forum is all I think about now.) You want to make sure that the vet you take them to is cavy savvy. A lot of vets don't know heads or tails about guinea pigs. It's not their fault and most of them don't even know that they don't know. Although some of them know that they're not experts and are willing to take your money anyway. Here's a link to help you out:https://www.guinealynx.com/vet.html It has a list of questions to ask and what not. I'd also ask if they do emergency hours. If not then you need to be familiar with an emergency vet in the area just in case.

texascavycabins

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all of your great information. I feel a lot better about this whole thing now. They are all on a quality pellet diet. My brother has prairie dogs, so I'm very familiar with oxbow! Fresh fruits and veggies everyday, plenty of timothy hay (and I got some alphalfa today). We're going to the vet tomorrow....
As for the whole pet store thing... it's a large retail store so there's nothing I can do about that. I do understand your concern. It must be as frustrating to you as people that get their dogs from puppy mills are to me. We only sell females (each store is assigned a sex) and we've never had any problems...but I've heard of stores that have. Like everyone else has said, the more people I can catch in the store and educate, the better. I did lecture a teenager today who brought in 3 young piggies to 'get rid of'. Her room mate won't keep the pair apart and this is the second litter. I tried to get them to keep a parent and baby of same sex...but the room mate wouldn't budge. I told her that she was going to kill her female from breeding too much, and it was irresponsible for all the little babies. I also explained to her how easy it is for them to get pregnant. She was very surprised! (stupid people) The one thing we can't STAND in our store is people who get animals and don't research them first! They came back later and bought another cage so they could house them separatly. Baby steps.........................

P.S. I've got the babies. 2 male, 1 female housed together, 3-4 mths. old. They are now separated, but from what I've learned in the last 2 days I better be watching her for babies!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You work at Petco? Aren't the pigs frequently mis-sexed and/ or sold pregnant? Their pet mills suck.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Texas-this is exactly the terrable cycle that Voodo is talking about. Now you are sitting with two pregnant sows, each having at least two pups which will give you. . . what nine guinea pigs in your care including the others that you took in??? To think all of this could have been prevented if petstores never sold the guinea pigs in the first place :(

Just so you can see first hand the problem your state faces with overpopulation of guinea pigs in your area I urge you to get on Petfinder and look up the amount of guinea pigs waiting at shelters and rescues hoping to someday find a loving place to call home. Meanwhile the petstores continue to sell more pigs everyday, therefore ordering more pigs from the mills every week, making the problem continue to get worse and more out of control.

texascavycabins

Cavy Slave
:mad: Okay, listen guys. I didn't join up to get yelled at.
I was just trying to help out. I am doing my best to take care of these guinea pigs that nobody else wants. I took in the 3 drop offs at the store (and no, I don't work for Petco) because I felt sorry for them. They were in a laundry basket and looked like they were going to die of heatstroke. I don't plan on taking anymore "dumps". They need to be refered to a shelter or other rescue organization. The others I took in, I heard about through a friend, or neighbors who were looking to get rid of theirs because 'they just didn't have time'. I do understand the problem that is out there....... I am a dog trainer and deal with it everyday with puppy mills. People getting their dogs from pet stores or from the side of the road. Trust me, I know where those poor dogs come from and I can imagine that it's worse for GP's. But I want to try and help and that's why I'm in the process of starting a reputable rescue. One that makes sure their piggies have plenty of cage space and fruits and veggies until they find a suitable home. And by suitable, I mean one that passes my stict standards. I am working with several shelters in the area to help me in this process. (How to interview, how to adopt, etc.). I have also gained a lot of valuable info on this website about rescue.

:( I'm sorry if where I work or what I've tried to do to help offended anybody. I didn't mean it to.

:heart: And thank you to those who gave me such great information about how to deal with my pregnant girl. She had two beautiful baby boys last night. Both healthy and doing just great. We are already building them their own cage so in three weeks they have a mansion to live in.....

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I didn't join up to get yelled at.
No one's yelling. Petstores that sell animals are a sensitive subject here due to the facts that:
1. They get their animals from irreputable breeders and mills.
2. The animals aren't taken care of properly in the majority of cases.
3. They sell sick, missexed or pregnant pigs.

Taking in dumped, unwanted or abandoned animals is totally different than "buying" them from a petstore. I commend you for trying to give these pigs a life by taking them in. I commend you for trying to start a rescue to rehome pigs that no one else wants.

Texas-this is exactly the terrable cycle that Voodo is talking about. Now you are sitting with two pregnant sows, each having at least two pups which will give you. . . what nine guinea pigs in your care including the others that you took in??? To think all of this could have been prevented if petstores never sold the guinea pigs in the first place
It could have been prevented if the petstores didn't sell them in the first place but is that texascavycabin's fault? No, it isn't. He/she is doing what many of us have done in the past and that is take in pigs that others don't want anymore. How many people on this forum have adopted pigs from a rescue/shelter? How many people on this forum have taken in owner dumps? Many of us have. The pigs we have adopted could have been prevented if petstores had not sold them or breeders had not bred them in the first place.

The good news is that texascavycabins doesn't sound like they are buying pigs from the petstore they work at. It sounds to me like they are trying to educate the people that come into the store to buy animals. It's good to educate people on why petstores that sell animals are bad and why they shouldn't buy pets from petstores no matter how well they seem to treat their pets. The only way to break the cycle is to get petstores to stop selling animals.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Very nicely said, Ly&Pigs.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I was in no way trying to make it sound that she was not doing good by offering these pigs a home. I was only just trying to point out the fact that while she is offering these pigs a place to live, the petstore (also being her place of employment) is buying more pigs from mills and the problem continues. Look at all the pigs she has aquired in just a few days. :weepy:

Texas, I do truly appoligize if you misunderstood my post and thought I was yelling at you. I honestly was not, nor was I wanting to hurt you or put down your good intentions.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I know Weaver. Different people tend to read posts differently and I just wanted to try to clarify some things to everyone. Not sure how well I did in clarifying but I tried.

texascavycabins

Cavy Slave
Thanks, guys for the clarification. Sorry about the earlier post! (Bad day at work and was a little cranky!) I've really enjoyed reading posts and getting advice from this forum. In a short week, my eyes have really been opened to a big problem and a simple (yet not) solution. I hope to learn more from everyone as the months go on!

SW <3 Guineas

Cavy Slave
Just some more info your way from me :) I found myself in a similar situation a little while ago, my mother cavy is about to give birth any day now. My cavy was particularly young (unfortunately) and this site helped alot for this reason... also, it includes hand feeding forumars if problems occur and interesting facts. website: Pro-breeding site with bad information removed.

good luck! You will feel the babies about 3-4 weeks before birth and her pelvis will start to separate either a few days or a few hours before birth ( about 2 finger widths).

Last edited by a moderator:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The site you posted was removed due to it's pro-breeding nature and the very bad information it contained. Guinea pigs should NEVER be given dairy products, and every one of those formulas advocated using milk of some sort. Generally, if the link isn't from here, guinealynx, cavyspirit, the pigloo, or is your own site with pictures of your pigs, please PM it to a mod first, and we can tell you if it is appropriate

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Here is the proper info on handfeeding pups- https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups.

Cavies are lactose intolerant and should never be given dairy products of any type. Especially to very young pups. Their systems just can't handle it.

SW <3 Guineas

Cavy Slave
I actually found that site on this website, a thread a while ago about a young girl who decided her boy and girl guinea pigs loved eachother so they should be allowed to play together, then the female got pregnant. Eitherway, I'm sorry I thought it was approved thus I posed it... but I'm glad I did because I now have received the proper information to rear my baby pigs if any problems arise with mothers milk. Thank you!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Cavies are lactose intolerant and should never be given dairy products of any type. Especially to very young pups. Their systems just can't handle it.

I'm curious on this subject. I've always thought that, but someone researched it and found that they may become lactose intolerant as they grow, just like any mammal. Also, that they are born able to digest lactose? And if not, what's in the mothers milk? I'm just curious to know what's correct.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.