Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding Pregnant

jpig

Cavy Gazer
I have just rescued two pregnant sows, I have felt babies moving around.
I don’t know obviously how far along they are.
My question is, I’m now unable to feel the pelvic bone when I rest the girls on their feet and feel from the back.
I know they are still young as previous owner got them as babies and only had them a 5 or so months. So no chance of fusion. And I was able to feel it previously.

Any help and advice would be helpful.

When you say that you can’t feel the pelvic bone what exactly do you mean? Is it that you can’t feel it separating? Or can’t feel it at all?

From what I feel sometime just seems like it’s not there then later it is haha I’m not sure I’m doing it right

From what I feel sometime just seems like it’s not there then later it is haha I’m not sure I’m doing it right

I wouldn't worry about it, and certainly wouldn't bother the sow about it. The pups can't read, so they don't get the memo about that being an indicator that birth is imminent, so the time can vary pretty widely. Some sows will deliver shortly after the bones separate, others not for several days.

A pretty good indicator that birth will be within the next several days is hearing the teeth chattering. But that can vary a lot also.