Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant sow at work.

socks

Cavy Slave
Our supplier gave us a sow with a bunch of boars and that, obviously, resulted in impregnation. We thought she was supposed to have her babies at the beginning of this month, but the month is almost over and she's as big as a house. She isn't in any discomfort, but it just seems like something could be wrong because she's been pregnant for so​ long.

Our supplier gave us a sow with a bunch of boars and that, obviously, resulted in impregnation. We thought she was supposed to have her babies at the beginning of this month, but the month is almost over and she's as big as a house. She isn't in any discomfort, but it just seems like something could be wrong because she's been pregnant for so​ long.

Supplier? Do you work for a pet store?

I do, and before you give me grief about guinea pigs and pet stores we actually take GREAT care of ours. I've been to competitor stores, believe me, we take excellent care of our pigs.

I do, and before you give me grief about guinea pigs and pet stores we actually take GREAT care of ours. I've been to competitor stores, believe me, we take excellent care of our pigs.

I wasn't going to give you grief personally, but just warn you that there may be many who do. GPC is a pro-adoption website and people take that very seriously… Take a look at the threads in the medical forum and see how many owners have sick pets from Petco or PetSmart.
I'm not arguing with anyone, but all of these illnesses are one of the many reasons why people have resentment towards pet stores and why you may get flamed.
Just wanted to give you a head's up.

Yeah, good thing I work at Pet Supplies "Plus" and neither PetCo or PetSmart. I personally loathe both of those stores, awful workers and awful animal care. Just not meant to sell animals, they aren't.

Guinea pig gestation is between 59–72 days. You may just have to wait a little while longer.

Okay, she's been pregnant since beginning of February if I remember correctly.

Yeah, good thing I work at Pet Supplies "Plus" and neither PetCo or PetSmart. I personally loathe both of those stores, awful workers and awful animal care. Just not meant to sell animals, they aren't.

Well the whole argument is that animals shouldn't be sold as pets, period. To see an animal as a "sale" is to see it as a dollar sign and therefore as an item. I know many people who won't even buy hay or pellets at a pet store because of what they stand for (generally speaking).
Just trying to provide alternate sides of the issue here, not trying to come across as a snot.

Well Febuary 1st to today is only 55 days. She still has some time left.

Yeah, at pet supplies "plus" we refer to it as adopting a guinea pig. The only animals at our store that we talk about in the sense of selling are our fish, feeder mice and crickets, which 95% are used as feeders for bigger fish and lizards, etc.

And I appreciate that you're not coming at me like a snot, it's refreshing. A lot of people on the internet are attitude first, friendship later...if at all, haha.

I wasn't going to give you grief personally, but just warn you that there may be many who do. GPC is a pro-adoption website and people take that very seriously… Take a look at the threads in the medical forum and see how many owners have sick pets from Petco or PetSmart.
I'm not arguing with anyone, but all of these illnesses are one of the many reasons why people have resentment towards pet stores and why you may get flamed.
Just wanted to give you a head's up.

Agreed. My brother got me Mr. Whistles for my 18th birthday and he got him from PetSuperMarket. He was told Mr. Whistles was a girl. A week later I gave my brother a wonderful wake up, piggy in hand and said "Does this look like a girl?!"
LOL
Mr. Whistles also came infected with skin mites of which he over came with the help of some meds from his vet.

I hope her babies come soon. Is she separated or put with other females?

Agreed. My brother got me Mr. Whistles for my 18th birthday and he got him from PetSuperMarket. He was told Mr. Whistles was a girl. A week later I gave my brother a wonderful wake up, piggy in hand and said "Does this look like a girl?!"
LOL
Mr. Whistles also came infected with skin mites of which he over came with the help of some meds from his vet.

I hope her babies come soon. Is she separated or put with other females?

I'm sorry that happened to you. Lesson learned that the pet store your brother went to sucks!

We've separated her, she's in her own cage and receiving her own care away from loud noises and barking dogs that come to visit our store. We primarily get males in, but A-Pet messed up and gave us a female, which when we realized we separated her. Too late, as it may seem, but we're fully prepared to take care of her and her babies.

Well, welcome to the forum. Personally, I think anyone that comes here to learn should be encouraged, not "flamed". After all, you have a direct hand in caring for these piggies, and can pass along info to your co-workers, too. It's a shame that some people start by yelling, instead of educating. I hope all goes well for the darling girl, and since we love Pig-tures here, please be sure to let us oooo and ahhh over them when they arrive! Good luck!

No flames to you personally from me as I came here after buying a pet store piggy (wish I would have found this earlier as I would have definitely adopted instead...didn't realize it was possible). The thing I'm more concerned about is the supplier. Hopefully this is the first such error they've made, but if not, I'd wonder about the conditions in which they raise their piggies and the knowledge of their workers. You can have a shop that takes great care of their guinea pigs, but they can come from a hell-on-earth place beforehand.

I hope all his well with your mom-to-be and that she delivers healthy babies. I'd love to see photos when they're born. I'm glad she has someone so caring watching out for her.

She had her babies! I haven't gotten a good look at them yet, I'll be going into work at 3 and I'll be sure to take some pictures and check that she and the pups are getting thoroughly taken care of. There's actually another employee that I work with who also owned a guinea pig, so she knows what to do as well until I get there.

I'm excited! A coworker posted a status about it on facebook. Apparently she had 3 babies; 2 black ones and a white one. Not sure of the sexes.

i was just wondering if you had thought to reach out to the local rescues to offer to hold and rehouse piggies for them instead of using a supplier where they are being bred for resale. just a thought. glad to hear the babies are here hope pics are up soon :D

i was just wondering if you had thought to reach out to the local rescues to offer to hold and rehouse piggies for them instead of using a supplier where they are being bred for resale. just a thought. glad to hear the babies are here hope pics are up soon :D

We plan to take care of them as they should be at the store until someone comes in and adopts them. We didn't plan for Fonda to get pregnant. Our supplier messed up on that, and we messed up on not checking soon enough. We're taking responsibility for that, and taking care of the pups and the mom.

We plan to take care of them as they should be at the store until someone comes in and adopts them. We didn't plan for Fonda to get pregnant. Our supplier messed up on that, and we messed up on not checking soon enough. We're taking responsibility for that, and taking care of the pups and the mom.

i understand that. what i meant was have you thought of contacting a rescue for your "supply" instead of going through a supplier. so you can help rehouse the piggies that need homes.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you got a good first empression!! LOL!

That's kinda what happened to me. For Christmas, my family got me my second guinea pig, but she was in a cage with her brothers...
My first two guinea pigs died, unfortunitly, but I have all of her babies! Three of them!
And I can't wait to see some pics of you're new-born pigglets!! (Or pups, but I call 'em pigglets, wink wink), lol!

I hope there is no stress on you're mama piggy, sometimes that happens.
Can't wait to see them!
Luna8

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.