Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Piggy?!?!

Pepperpiggie

Cavy Slave
When I got my guinea pig it was a 'male' but after closer inspection it's a female. So I have had my piggy for two weeks now and I got her when she was a month olds she has been getting a little 'round' so I thought she was just eating better
But she is still getting bigger she isn't pear shaped yet but is starting to get that way so I don't know if she is pregnant or eating a lot (growing) I don't know if she is old enough to be pregnant since she is just a baby but she was kept with three other piggy's someone
Help!

She most likely is. Guinea pigs can become pregnant at about 4 weeks of age if I recall correctly. If you got her as a "Male" Than the other owners most likely kept "Him" With other males.

My pig was kept with another "female" at the shelter and we're expecting baby pigs any day now. She has pretty much doubled in size over the past two months. Good luck to you if yours is pregnant too!

If she is pregnant, it's too early to tell. She couldn't have gotten pregnant much before 4 weeks, and she's only six weeks, so you can't possibly tell if she's pregnant at just two weeks along. In another 4-6 weeks, yes, you tell if she is, but maybe not if she isn't.

And it really doesn't make any difference right now, because you should be feeding her the same things as a young pig as you would if she were an older pregnant pig.

Weigh her daily, at the same time of day, and keep a record of how much she's gaining. It can be hard to tell about young pigs and pregnancy, because they're growing and gaining anyway, but it can give you a clue.

There's a possibility that she's not, if she was separated at 4 weeks. Some sows come into heat that early, but some don't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.