Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnant or not ?

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
I have had my girl for about 3 weeks now, I noticed she was a little chuby when I got her. I thought it might be from being in a small cage. But now she is getting bigger. Here is a pic of her and let me know what you guys think is she normal sized ect..
IM000608.jpg

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
It looks a little iffy right now, none of my guinea pigs have ever been pregnant so maybe I don't have the eye for it.

Dear god that is one shiny coat!

laura220

Cavy Slave
On the left side it looks like it *could* be the beginning of a baby bump. Good luck if she turns out to be preggers!

albert
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
albert said:
She's pregnant.

How can you tell? Man I need a better eye for these things.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
He can't tell 100%. That guinea pig isn't so incredibly pear shaped as to definitely be pregnant. Sitting in certain positions, Percy looks the same way.

I'm sure some of this is in other threads, but I need some more information. Why do you think she might be pregnant? Was she housed with an intact male before you got her? How old is she?

I know that sounds like a barrage of questions, but from that picture, it's really hard to tell if she is pregnant or not. Your best option might be to take her into a vet to have her checked out.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
Check her nipples. I'm not exactly sure whether it happens to all piggies when they are pregnant but all of my piggies nipples got very large when they were preggers. Also, if she's older than one year old, you need to take her to a vet and keep a close eye on her. If she hasn't previously been pregnant before the one year mark there are major concerns involved...the life or death type. I've been through four pregnancies with my piggies (don't ask, it's all in my profile) and I was lucky everyone survived. She looks like she may be pregnant to me, but not too far along. If you pick her up under her arms does it still buldge out around the tummy like that? (You should always support their bums but just to see what happens this once can't hurt her) If you've still got a big buldge on each side when lifting her from under the arms she's most likely pregnant. Did you get her from a pet store or something? I only ask because rescues usually know if their sows are preggers or not and don't house entact males with females. Good Luck either way.
Oh, also, is she drinking more water than usual? Her bottle look emptier when you go to change her water? Because my piggies drank like twice as much water as usual when they were pregnant. I would fill a large one when I left for work in the morning and by the time I got home it was close to being empty!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.