Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

pregnant or not pregnate....that is the ?.

ginniemama

Cavy Slave
Okay I just joined. What a cool place. Anyway look me up! I could always use more friends. I am going to be looking for another vet tomorrow. The vet I took them to called me today and wanted to know how Ginniegurl was doing. I had to tell them it was Sage that was pregnant not Ginniegurl. Scary.....Very scary!! It was nice of them to call and check up even though it was for the wrong piggie

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I don't think you need extra coroplast, looking at the holes in your picture I doubt that your guinea pigs will be able to squeeze through them. Although just to be on the safe side you may wish to get some mesh (there is something else that you could use but the name has escaped me) which you could attach to the cubes using cable ties, the mesh can be brought at hardware stores and is probably cheaper than coroplast.

I will provide the link to Yahoo Answers. Yahoo answers has a whole heap of different categories which you can look through and in turn answer, you can also ask questions if you want. You will need to look at the rodent section if you want to answer questions regarding guinea pigs, rats, mice, gerbils etc, this is also the section you will need to post your questions in. This link is for the rodent section which is under pets, if you want to go to other categories just click "all categories"

Rodents - Yahoo! Answers

clotho

Cavy Slave
I would not separate your girls if I were you. Usually other females will be really good with babies and actually help with them.

If you do not know your email from your service provider, why not call and ask them for it? Guinea lynx is THE best place to go if you have any problems with your piggies. They are incredibly helpful and supportive.

You can use cardboard around the edges of the cage to babyproof it. It's always better safe than sorry and should be done before the babies arrive!

Did the vet have any idea how far along she is? Can you feel the babies moving yet?

Also, please make sure to feed her lots of veggies high in calcium and vitamin C so she will be getting everything she needs for the babies.

ginniemama

Cavy Slave
The sides of my cage is about 6 inches. Does the sides need to be taller than that for the little ones? I think I will get the makings to separate the cage into 2 sections just in case I think I need it. The 2 girls get along so well I hate to separate them. The vet did not say anything about separating them but I am nervous that Ginniegurl might get jealous or something??? The vet could not tell me how far along she is but Sage is really really big! She is waddling in the cage. I slept by the cage last night because I am not sure how long before she gives birth so I am trying to stay close and have my kids keeping an eye on her while I am at work but school starts Monday here so ugggg!! I am so stressed. To separate or not to separate? I am a basket case right now!! I am gonna go out and get more fixins to make another cage so if there are any boars I can separate them when the time comes. I have been feeding lots of Romain and have been giving the sliced oranges(about 2 slices 3/4 of an inch thick) sliced up about 3-4 times a week and I went out and got alafia hay to go with the Timothy hay. I have read all the useful links you guys have posted and am crossing my fingers and toes!! I am alittle worried about the oranges because I know it is high in sugar.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
I would not seperate them. They are herd animals and your momma is going to look for support from your other piggy. Your Ginniegurl should not feel jealous but help with the babies and be a big happy family. The two girls whould enjoy the babies together. Seperating them could ad extra stress on Sage. Im not seperating my pregnant sow Lilly from the 12 week old sow and right now they are having the time of their life but Lilly has a couple more weeks untill its time. So I have time to make a space for any boys. Good luck!

clotho

Cavy Slave
Don't separate them. I'm sure they will be fine. Sounds like Sage is close. You most likely won't be there to witness the birth anyways - I swear they wait until you're gone and everything is quiet before they give birth - it's like a conspiracy LOL. Although, some members here have been lucky enough to see a birth. I managed to come upstairs just as the last placenta was coming out - but I wasn't lucky enough to actually see a baby being born.

Try bell peppers - green and yellow you can feed daily and they have lots of vitamin C. Red peppers are high in C as well but should be fed less often. Kale & collard greens are good "preggie" veggies as well. You can also buy liquid vitamin C from a health food store and syringe some to her each day (see guinea lynx for how much). Some people have had success with chewable vitamin C tablets as well. Please don't put vitamin C drops in their water.

Guinea Lynx :: Vitamin C Chart
Guinea Lynx :: Scurvy -- Vitamin C Deficiency (scroll down for info on vitamin C tablets)

I think the cage sides should be at least 10 inches high for babies. All I did was take cardboard and put it between the coroplast and the grids - all the way around the cage - to make the sides temporarily higher until the babies were big enough that they wouldn't be able to get out.

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware or not, so I will just mention (sorry if I'm repeating something already said) that any males need to be separated out by 3 weeks of age. Here's a good link for sexing pups: Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Pups

Good luck with her and please keep us updated! Can't wait to see baby pigtures!

ginniemama

Cavy Slave
You guys are awsome!! I went out today and got more coroplast. I wanted to make a 2nd level to the cage anyway so the materials I go today will still go to good use! I am so glad that they can stay together and I know to take the little boys out of the cage at 3 weeks. The vet told me to put Vit C in the water. I swear you would think she would know what she is talking about!!!!!! So I will not be doing that but I have no problems getting the bell peppers and other foods you mentioned. I have them on a meal planner so I know what I am giving them when and at what day. The cardboard will not be a problem. I know that the chances of me being here for the birth is slim to none but I am gonna try to break up the conspiracy and do my best!! I have the video camera primed and am on alert!! I feel so much better now that I can leave the girls together!! Yippee!! I am crossing my toes that Sage will be okay and her babies!! Thanks tons! You guys ever need anything and I will be there for you! Wait? Where do you live again LOL just joking!!

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Did the vet say how close she was? If you can feel them then I reckon she will be giving birth anywhere from in 2 weeks time to tomorrow. In regards to foods high in vitamin c, here is a list of guinea lynx, the ones at the top of the list (note the higher numbers) are the foods with the most vitamin c, most are readily available at the supermarket. You will need to scroll down a bit, and there is a printable version:

Guinea Lynx :: Vitamin C Chart

I am so excited for you, pigtures are needed!lol

ginniemama

Cavy Slave
My baby has Babies!! Sage gave birth in the middle of the night last night to 2 darling angels!! I think one is a girl and the other one I am not sure yet. Every time I pick him/her up he/she wheeks like crazy!! I am sooooooo excited!! I left my camera at work but I will be posting pigtures soon!! Yipee!! I am either a new mom or a grandmama!! (I haven't figured that one out yet) One is black and white just like sage but more black that white and the other one is black, white and brown. Ginnie girl is being a sport and taking everything in stride. Sage and the babies kindof kicked ginniegirl out of the hut because they all cannot fit in it. Oh!! and the little black and white one looked like he/she was popcorning like crazy!! They are soooooo cute!! I am sooooo excited. One question. because they are so small how do they reach the water bottle?? Should I put a bowl of water in there and change it a few times a day? Also, my vet said she felt 3 babies but Sage only gave birth to 2?? Should I be worried?? YIPEE!! I am soooooo happy!! I love them all!! :heart:

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your babies' safe arrival! Did the vet estimate 3 by palpation (just feeling the mom externally) or by xray? I'd not be too worried if only by feel if the mom is acting OK. Just look out for the danger signs that are mentioned on the Guinea Lynx site - classic signs of infection, bleeding, etc.

Oh, and post those baby pics!!!

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
Oh Wow how exciting! Congrats to you!
Can't wait to see some pictures of them. They sound so cute!

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
YAY! I have been thinking about you and Sage. The babies will be drinking milk mainly (from the mum), so I don't think water will be a problem. As for the babies, if the vet only felt 3 and did not have evidence of 3 than I would not worry, the vet could have felt the head and the bum of 1 guinea pig and mistaken it for 2 guinea pigs, if that makes sence.

Baby pics, baby pics, baby pics, baby pics! lol

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
Nope, don't be worried. Oh, how exciting! Yay! We must see pictures as soon as possible! :D

ginniemama

Cavy Slave
Okay, here are my new babies!! I have to figure out if they are boys or girls. I think the tricolored is a girl. Not so sure about the black and white baby. I have been to all the sexing pages, they just wiggle around so much it is hard to tell. Then I have to think of names.

DSC02345.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

DSC02351.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

DSC02354.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What do ya'll think? Aern't they just the cutest?

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
They are so CUTE! I love the calico one! I bet they are fun to watch. Have you got names so far?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
They are adorable, the little black and white one looks like the mother, the tortoise shell and white is soo cute, they are both soo cute. Your going to have a hard time naming!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
They are REALLY adorable! :) When I needed to sex my girls, I had my grandma hold them, and I took pictures of 'down there' that way you can compare picture to picture, and the pigs werent uncomfortable for so long.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Oh they are adorable!!! Congrats!!!

ginniemama

Cavy Slave
i love my new piggies! I love all the piggies! Well, I asked my boys if they will help me out and hold them for me so I can look/take a picture and I think the black and white is a boy. I still think the tri color is a girl. i can not be 100% positive so I will take them to the vet and see if they can look and tell me and cross my fingers and toes and paws that they get it right. If theat is the case then I do not know what to dao. If they were both girls then I was going to keep them all. If one is a boy then I do not see how I can keep him. It would not be fair to him. He would be all alone in his cage. What does it run ball park wise nuetering? I can ask the vet what they charge when I find out if he really is a he and she really a she.

names, names, I have no idea.......

They are just too cute for words!!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
If one is a boy.. I would definatly suggest neutering him. Im about to adopt a boar, and have him neutered. Its going to be $200, but it ranges anywhere from $100-$500 from what I have seen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.