Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnant or not pregnant?

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Ok so Cookie had a baby 2 weeks ago and last night while we had them out playing I noticed that French Fry's nipples were sticking out more than normal. I know the gestation time is 64-70 days. And we know Cookie got pregnant before we got her. I felt French Fry's belly and didn't feel anything kick me back or any kind of lump that might be a baby. They have a vet apt next week but should I be on baby watch untill then or is it possible that she's just in heat or maybe it's because there's a baby in the pen too? Any help would be appreciated...I really hope she's not pregnant. I love the little baby but I'd be afraid things wouldn't go well.

Thanks in advance

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How long have you had them and where did you get them? If they were from a pet store, they are likely both pregnant.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Unfortunatly I got them from a pet store, at the time I didn't know about Cavy rescues, and when Cookie had her baby 2 weeks ago I started doing tons of research and ended up stumbling (thank goodness) across this site. It has provided a treasure trove of information. I'm hoping she's not but if she is and has boars we'll just build another cage and be happy. I've just purchased some cubes today and plan on drawing up the plans for my pen tonight and then going tomorrow morning to get the coroplast and everything else, then I'll have my first ever C&C cage. I'm really quite excited about that.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Buggie_00 said:
I'm hoping she's not but if she is and has boars we'll just build another cage and be happy.
I don't know why, but reading this made me giggle. You're definitely an example of learning from your mistakes (that you didn't know you made) after coming here and absorbing a lot of knowledge. Good job.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Well the way I look at it is that I bought them, and even though I shouldn't have purchased a pet I did. I've learned better now and know not to do it again. BUT whatever happens to them is my responsiblity. If they were pregnant when we got them, I'm responsible for thier babies too. If that means having to build another cage or a larger one, so be it. I took on that responsibility. If we have a boy then that's what we'll have to do, I can handle that. I'd rather keep him and know he's got a good home, than take him back to the pet store and say "oooppsss I didn't really want this one" that would be TERRIBLE. Plus I know better than to buy a pet again, I'll go to a rescue and I love learning about all the cool cage designs...it gives me something creative to do.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Well if you only end up with one boar you could neuter him and give him a nice harem.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Are you sure both original pigs are sows? Just making sure.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Yep Cookie and French Fry are definitly both girls and the baby is too, I have a vet appointment next week but neither of the older two have boy bits at all and the baby doesn't either. I've looked at the pictures in books and on the GuineaLynx site on how to tell them apart. They're girls

PinkGrass

Cavy Slave
Buggie_00 said:
Yep Cookie and French Fry are definitly both girls and the baby is too, I have a vet appointment next week but neither of the older two have boy bits at all and the baby doesn't either. I've looked at the pictures in books and on the GuineaLynx site on how to tell them apart. They're girls

On babies, sometimes it's very hard to tell- even by comparing pictures. I had to go through that too, and I was so worried I would missex one of the babie piggies. You really need to look for a penis, and not just bits because they don't have them yet. Only saying it so you really really make sure! Good luck with them all. :heart:

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
I looked for a penis. I said bits out of habit. I have a 6 year old in the house and tend to censor what I say. Sorry if that caused confusion.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I am not saying that she can't still be pregnant, but one of the dangers in housing two pregnant females together, is that when one goes into labour and delivers, the "auntie" or "room mate" often does too. This is because she will usually help with the cleaning of the pup(s) and share in the eating of the afterbirth. (yummy!)

If the mom to be has awhile to go until the big day, she will often deliver prematurely and the pups will not make it, often delivered still born. This does not always happen, but very often does.

The fact that French Fry experianced no such thing is a positive indication that she is not pregnant. That and the fact you cannot detect any babies yet. The larger nipples could be because of all the estorgen in the air with the babies around, perhaps she is in heat, maybe you are just paranoid! (And I don't mean that the wrong way, just that sometimes when we are really afraid of something, we begin to imagine things that are not actually happening!)

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers that she is not! If nothing else, that should help right? ;)

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Definitly, thank you all so much. I'm hoping it's the estrogen or I'm paranoid too (no offense was taken at all :) ) My hubby gained pound for pound what I did with my youngest son and this time is eating odd things too, so hopefully it's just sympathy nipples lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.