Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnant!! Not the pigs - ME!!

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
Yep, haven't even told the family yet so everybody... shhhh :)

My question is... any safeguards I should take? I read a particularly ugly thread just now that was more a focus of rehoming and that's not my situation (with Juniper and Lenny at least). I just want to know if there is anything I need to know about piggies and human pregnancies. Like I can no longer change the cat box (yeah, I know, I've probably already been exposed but don't tell my husband that).

Someone PLEASE tell me that my husband has to sweep poops from now on ;)

And remember, Juniper was in the wild for at least a few days, do you think in all that cold cold weather and snow that he might have been exposed to a wild rodent that had that disease and if so, do you think the 6 months I've spent with him and his poo and pee mean I've had time to build antibodies to protect the baby from it?

No fear, peeps, Juniper and Lenny aren't going anywhere! Just want to protect the bun in the oven.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Hope it goes well for you. I'm sorry that I cant really help you, but I would say to let your husband clean their cage because i believe they have ammonia in their urine as well as cats and everyone else and thats not good to be cleaning and breathing in while pregnant. With both my pregnancies, the doctor told me I was not allowed to change the cat box so I would think it would go the same for guinea pigs even though the pee a lot less than cats but just to be safe I would have your husband clean it anyway lol. Congrats again. And good luck

Congratulations! I didn't have guinea pigs when I was pregnant; only cockatiels. You could buy those silicone or latex gloves to wear when you change the cages if it's even necessary. I doubt that Juniper came in contact with any rodents outside. It was snowy out there and I doubt that any rodent would intentionally be out in that cold.

(broken link removed)

I think you're safe with the pigs. According to this link, you're more likely to contract this parasite from gardening and eating undercooked meat.

The toxoplasmosis is a concern with the cats, although I've had indoor/outdoor cats most my life so I'm fairly certain I've been exposed. Hubs doesn't know that little fact so he cleans the cat box while I'm pregnant. The only thing I'm concerned with with the piggies is LCMV. It's only contracted from wild rodents and while Juniper had some time outside, I think it was too cold for wild rodents to be out. I just wonder in the off chance that he was exposed if my 6 months of exposure have built my immune system. In any case, I think I'll put hubby on cage duty when he's home and wear gloves when I can't avoid it. I hadn't thought about the ammonia in the tinkles. Although I've not noticed it in the cages like I do the cat box. Anybody else experienced piggies and pregnancy. Any tips, tricks or anything else I should know?

Congratulations!

Thank you! We are so excited!

Firstly, congratulations! It must be very exciting for you both!

Second, I wouldn't be very concerned. From the CDC: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While it might be possible for other animals to become infected with the virus, documented infections in humans have occurred only after exposure to infected mice and hamsters. Human infections almost always occur from house mice and rarely occur from pet hamsters.[/FONT]

You can read more here: (broken link removed)

As a precaution, I would have your man do all the cleaning. lol However, if one of your GPs was exposed, you would already have been exposed as well. It is an extremely slim chance.

Per Wiki Article, with sources included on full site: Pet rodents are not known to be natural reservoirs for lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. However, pets can become vectors if they are exposed to wild house mice in a breeding facility, pet store, or home. Such infections are rare.[SUP][21][/SUP] To date, documented infections in humans have occurred only after introduction to infected mice, guinea pigs, and hamsters, with the majority of cases transmitted by mice. LCMV infection in other animals, including zoo animals, may be possible.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP]

Here: Lymphocytic choriomeningitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would speak to your gyno/doc on the subject if you are concerned.
Enjoy that baby, and the piggies (to you and your doctor's level of safety!)

Congratulations! :)

Congradulations! Does this make baby #2 for you?

Thanks for the research! And thanks for the congratulations!

@Inle_Rabbit - yes #2. My first is nicknamed babyzilla, hence why I'm mommazilla. What do I call this one?!

Thanks for the research! And thanks for the congratulations!

My first is nicknamed babyzilla, hence why I'm mommazilla. What do I call this one?!

I love the nicknames :D if this one is a wild one, it could be megazilla, or minizilla for an opposite :p

I call my son Spud or Spudly. For some reason my husband is fascinated with potatoes, though we all are in this family to some degree. :crazy:

@Inle_Rabbit - yes #2. My first is nicknamed babyzilla, hence why I'm mommazilla. What do I call this one?!
Holy cow!! Congratulations! :D I think you should call your new one "Minizilla". lol

I love the nicknames :D if this one is a wild one, it could be megazilla, or minizilla for an opposite :p

I call my son Spud or Spudly. For some reason my husband is fascinated with potatoes, though we all are in this family to some degree. :crazy:

LOVE minizilla!!

And did you see where I live? We've been here 6 months now and I have yet to see a potato anywhere other than at the store!

I can't answer any of your questions, but I just wanted to say congrats!
:cheerful:

congratulations on your pregnancy

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.