Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Guinea pig

It might be your scales, but if it isn't then you should be quite concerned as the average weight of newborns is 70g-110g depending on litter size. If you have a full bag of flour or something else you know the approximate weight of then you can use that to test the scales accuracy.

It might be your scale, but keep an eye on them.

One more question, should I be worried that she's always stepping on them?

No, it's quite common because the babies can't move out the way fast enough. If she was hurting them you would know about it.

I weighed them again, the gold and white one is 70 grams whereas the black and white one is 60 grams. I think they are both boys. They have both started eating hay!! What an intelligent species they are! They already squeak for more hay with their mum! I know breeding is wrong, and I didn't breed her, but the babies are so adorable and friendly and this feels so unreal!

Just to let you know, keep checking up on their genders. Males need to be seperated from the mom at 3 weeks. See https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm also, dont be freaked out if the first 3 days your new babies drop a little weight, thats normal (I saw that on the forum somewhere). As long as they dont keep dropping weight after the 3 days they should be fine.

Congratulations on the baby piggies, I bet they are super cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.