Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Guinea Pig

miss_melmel

Cavy Slave
Im getting a pregnant sow and i was wondering if there is anything special she needs or i should do for her.
i know about baby proofing the cage which i shall do before she comes. anything else i should know?

Re: im getting a pregnant sow

Pregnant sows need more alfalfa hay because it's higher in calcium than Timothy. She'll also need plenty of vitamin C. Other than that, just make sure she's safe and comfortable until the piglets arrive :)

Wow, you're made of strong stuff! I think I'd be a quivering mess if I was bringing a pregnant sow home. Heck, I was when I thought Siggy was pregnant... Turned out she's just a chubbers XD Safe, quiet living space would be my advice. And be very gentle handling her. A lot of people I've spoken to say avoid handling in the last couple weeks of pregnancy. Plenty of vitamin c, alfalfa hay in addition to timothy as it's rich in calcium, good for both mum and babies when they arrive. And I would gewt a good cavy vet lined up, just in case there's any complications. Guinea pigs are quite capable when it comes to giving birth, but it can't hurt to be prepared.

I have a a great vet.
I am going to be a big bundle of jitters.
I am not 100% sure is she is pregnant if she is i got told she is due at the end of june.
It was apparently a case of "the kids let the female in with the males they could be pregnant"
They didnt want to deal with babies so i said i will.

So i got the pregnant female today

So i got the pregnant female today,
She is very quiet i put her in her new cage and she just sat in the one spot for ages, is that normal?
She didnt even run to find a place to hide.
They said they are about 70% sure she is pregnant but i dont know just have to wait to find out.
Anyway here are so pics of her.Her name was abby but i think ill change not sure what to yet if anyone has any suggestions on names feel free to say. [GuineaPigCages.com] Pregnant Guinea Pig[GuineaPigCages.com] Pregnant Guinea Pig[GuineaPigCages.com] Pregnant Guinea Pig

Re: So i got the pregnant female today

She is gorgeous! Love the colors of her fur. :D
But as far as her being shy and everything, I have no idea. I have never had a pregnant guinea pig, so I don't know their behavior..
Try to google it, somebody has to know whats going on with your guinea pig.

Oh whew! When I first read the title of this post, I thought it said, "So I got the female pregnant today". So glad it was "pregnant female" LOL I love the tri-colored abys. I've had 2 in the time I've had pigs.

Hmmm the sitting still for a while could just be that she is freaked out with new surroundings. I would keep an eye on her. Hopefully it's just that she needs to come out of her shell.

You can usually tell if they are pear shaped, which she doesn't appear to be, but if she is recently pregnant, that might not be the case. You should also be able to feel movement in her sides. Her nipples will become very erect when she is close to giving birth as well.

As for the not running to hide, some piggies get so scared they can't move. When I got my first one, I put her in front of her piggy house that I'd made for her and she was too scared to even go inside. Sometimes you just need to leave them alone with their cage so they can get used to it first.

On the other hand lethargy could mean that she is sick in some way.

You can read more about pregnancy here. https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Ditto what Tunundary said. You know the phrase, "scared stiff"? That's what guinea pigs do when they are scared...they freeze. She could just be too afraid to move. Assuming there is nothing medically wrong, she should relax once she feels more comfortable.

The person i got her off said if she is pregnant she is due Near the end of june.
If thats the case she isnt far along yet.
I just have never had such a guinea pig that was scared stiff.
She can move fast when she wants too. she seems more lively now like moving around her cage and checking things out.
Any suggestions for names?

Oh whew! When I first read the title of this post, I thought it said, "So I got the female pregnant today". So glad it was "pregnant female" LOL

lol i hate when i miss read things u like do a double take lol

I like the name Lillian.

I'm looking at her and the name Zoe (like snowy) keeps coming to mind.

My friends kid is named zoe cant call her that sorry lol

I want a girly name coz my other female is snickerdoodles so thats not very girly

Also because of the black mask, she kind of looks like Red Mist, which I know isn't very girly, but I thought I'd put it out there. [GuineaPigCages.com] Pregnant Guinea Pig

i was thinking autumn or harmonie

Well done you! I find it really admirable you were willing to do that, you may have saved some piggies lives in the process :)

how do you know

I was wondering how you know when your piggie is in labour?
I have taken on a pregnant pig for a friend and also adopted a pregnant pig for a lady,
they are both very huge.
The one i adopted her babies move like crazy but i dont know how far along she is.
Are there any signs that she may be going into labour?

Re: how do you know

she will stop eating and drinking and start cleaning herself down below, sounds like the adopted one should be giving birth soon, my piggies babies are just begining to move lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.