Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

pregnant cavy

redangel1300

Cavy Slave
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I have a pregnant cavy and I was wondering if it is normal for them to start to somewhat protrude from their bottom area, and if this means she is getting ready to give birth. I rescued my two cavys about 8 weeks ago from horrible conditions. I have never had a guinea pig before but have been doing a lot of reading on them. I dont know how far along my female is but I have been able to hear the babies inside of her clashing their teeth since last week. She has gotten really big in the last week and today I was giving her a bath, it had to be done, and I noticed her bottom is sticking out like she is getting ready to have a bowel movement. I was just wondering if that means anything. I am really nervous/excited about the whole thing and just want to get it over with so I know that everyone is alright. Thanks for any help[/font]

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Check and see if her hips are starting to spread. To do this reach under her and with one finger feel just above her vulva. You will feel her hipbones there. Normally you should feel two small bumps with almost no seperation between them. When they are ready to deliver those bumps spread to nearly a finger's width or more apart. If you have a non pregnant sow you can feel her too to compare.

If the bones are spread she will give birth any time. If they are spread and she doesn't give birth withing 48 hours and/or you have felt no movement or noise from the babies and/or she seems in distress, depressed,ill or have a smell like nail poilish remover you should get her to a vet immediatly.

redangel1300

Cavy Slave
Ok, I will try and check her. She is doing fine, eating and grooming herself so I think she feels alright, other than the fact that she is huge. I checked and the babies are still moving like crazy. I feel so bad for her.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Good! active babies are healthy babies. The bulging bottom may just be her vaginal wall softening and getting engorged with blood for the birthing process. From all you have said I believe birth is immanent.

redangel1300

Cavy Slave
It is so scarey. I hope all goes well. I dont even know how old the mama is so I am worried for her. I already have good homes for the babies so that is a relief. I dont know why people would ever want to breed them, it is so worriesome. This will be our one and only litter and it was not by choice

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
If you haven't found a good vet, now is the time to do it even if it's just by making phone calls.

Find a cavy savy vet and put them on notice that your GP is pregnant at an unknown age and by an unknown father and should be giving birth soon. Get an after hours number so that if she is in distress in the middle of the night you have a number to call quickly and won't be searching for one when time in of trhe essence.

Familiarize yourself with how to get to the vet clinic and/or emergency (after hours) clinic.

Most likely everything will go well. It's just good to be prepared for the worst.

redangel1300

Cavy Slave
I have already been making calls and so far the closest vet I can find is over an hour away. I live in Henry County, Indiana if anyone knows of a good cavy vet please let me know.

LiloDFC

Cavy Slave
Neat, redangel, You don't live all that far from me, I'm just a couple miles south of Marion County, I'm in Greenwood, IN. Unfortunately I don't know of any vets over there =(

Did you weight your pregnant sow when you got her? If so, how much did she weigh? I've read that 500g+ is a safe weight for breeding. Bridget was exactly 500g when I got her, she had 4 pups and we lost only one. I wasn't there for the birth, but everything seemed to go just fine. I hope all the best for you and your cavies.

Lilo

redangel1300

Cavy Slave
Nice to meet someone in my neck of the woods. The only vet I have found is in Indianapolis and that is quite a drive for me. I didnt weigh her when I got her. I didnt even know what sex she was. I did not want to breed her but she was already with a male when I recieved her. My fear is losing a pup or even worse, losing them all. I would hate for my 5 and 3 year old to wake up to dead babies.

amfeider

Cavy Slave
Did you remove the male? All male babies should be put with him after three weeks.

redangel1300

Cavy Slave
The daddy-to-be was removed as soon as I realized that he was male. I am hoping to find good homes for most if not all of the babies. But I will be removing the males when they are 3 weeks old

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.