Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy pregnant cavy

xaniandra

Cavy Slave
my female is now 7 weeks pregnant, she has her own C&C cage, 2x3 grid, the male lives in his own cage, same size, near her. she is still very active, runs and litarally jumps from the "kitchen" to the ground(there's a second level made with grids at about half height on one side of the cage) my question is how active should she be? i think i felt the babies move when i held her today, but its hard to see how pregnant she is because she has long hair full of rosettes.. anyone has any thoughts on this?

Well, it probably really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about how active she should be, because I have no idea how you'd keep a guinea pig from being less active than it wants! If she doesn't feel like running around, she won't. And she'll obviously become less active as the pregnancy progresses.

If she's 7 weeks, she's about 2.5-3.5 weeks from delivery, most likely. And the closer it gets, the less she'll do. In fact, if she has a large number of babies, she may become so inactive that you'll have to move her around to keep her from lying in her own wastes.

Beginning 10-14 days from delivery, you'll be able to definitely feel and see the pups moving along her flanks. A few days out, you may be able to hear the babies' teeth chattering, and feel her pelvic bones separating.

For a massively pregnant guinea pig picture, see (broken link removed). There's some good info there as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.