Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy watch

Kriket

Cavy Slave
*sigh* whats the gestation time for piggies? I got a girl tonight from someone who didn't want her anymore and I'm afraid she was housed with some boy piggers. So now I'm on pregnancy watch. Heres hoping she's not :sarcastic

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have two on pregnancy watch myself, Oats and Finna. They are two fosters I took from angelwise but ended up keeping them forever. Still haven't been able to determine if they are or are not pregnant. It's a wait and see situation.

Kriket

Cavy Slave
I'd line up a cavy savy vet and an ER vet just in case, and read up.
Done. Thanks guys!
I'll have her on watch till late december/early January.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
I have two on pregnancy watch myself, Oats and Finna. They are two fosters I took from angelwise but ended up keeping them forever. Still haven't been able to determine if they are or are not pregnant. It's a wait and see situation.
I am so out of the loop having been in exacuation mode for so long. I knew you were fostering GPs but didn't know you kept then.

A classic, and lovable, case of "foster failure".

Good luck ladies on the preggie watch. Hope all goes well.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
What can I say VJ, it was love at first site! At least they aren't bouncing from home to home. They are nice and settled in here now and doing so wonderfully.

Nathan1SuperGuy

Cavy Slave
Your Not alone I'm also on the pregnancy watch as well I got a girl Callieabout 6mo. on Sep. 26 and she has been with my bot Petie who is about a year every since!

:love: Donnie

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Nathan1SuperGuy said:
Your Not alone I'm also on the pregnancy watch as well I got a girl Callieabout 6mo. on Sep. 26 and she has been with my bot Petie who is about a year every since!

Please, please, please tell me you don't mean you're trying to get her pregnant?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave

Actually, I think it's more a case of you're more alone here Donnie if what you said is 'true'. 99% of our members are against breeding - read through this site and http://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm you'll find out exactly why.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Nathan1SuperGuy said:

I will strongly inform you that this website and forum is VERY any-breeding.

This forum is rescue run. Breeding is the most irresponsible thing anyone can do.

I recommend you read this website http://cavyspirit.com especially the page on breeding.

Also please know that breeding discussions are absolutely not allowed on this forum. It is a bannable offence.

For your pets' safety, as you GP could die, and for the entire animal population please seperate your GPs now and do not breed. We will be happy to tell you all the reasons why.

Nathan1SuperGuy

Cavy Slave
So, Sorry if I upset you that wasn't my intenations at all:love: Donnie

Nathan1SuperGuy

Cavy Slave
just to make clear if my "little girl is pregant" it's by accident I sure you it might have just happen is all and I'm still learning :love: Donnie
voodoojoint said:
I am so out of the loop having been in exacuation mode for so long. I knew you were fostering GPs but didn't know you kept then.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Donnie, If you have a boar and a sow living together, then you are asking for trouble. It is an invite for the boar to impregnate the sow. It's people like voodoo, Teresa and myself among others who clean up messes like yours. Don't give me this crap that if she is pregnant, that it's an accident. I am just not buying it. When you let them live together that was intentional so any pregnancies she has are intentional.

And this message from voodoojoint was not directed at you. Most of it was directed at me.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I know this is a strange question, but does anyone ever foster out pregnant piggies? Like from rescues or humane societies? My kids have been asking what a baby piggie looks like/acts like/wheeks like... and while I would never EVER in a million years breed them, it would be neat to be able to see brand new babies. We would build a 2x3 to put SOMEWHERE to keep the new mama in & we would care for her like she were our own, but I was wondering if this was ever done???

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I know this is a strange question, but does anyone ever foster out pregnant piggies? Like from rescues or humane societies?
A few rescues/shelters do foster out pregnant sows, but only to very experienced cavy carers. I personally wouldn't foster a pregnant sow as I don't feel I have experience in that situation, so until I find another rescue to volunteer at and get that experience I'll just stick to any needy pigs!

C&K

Cavy Slave
I know this is a strange question, but does anyone ever foster out pregnant piggies? Like from rescues or humane societies? My kids have been asking what a baby piggie looks like/acts like/wheeks like... and while I would never EVER in a million years breed them, it would be neat to be able to see brand new babies. We would build a 2x3 to put SOMEWHERE to keep the new mama in & we would care for her like she were our own, but I was wondering if this was ever done???

I can understand the desire too, but I wouldn't deliberately go looking to foster a pregnant sow with my small children in the house. When they go into labour, it is often at night when everyone is asleep, and can happen pretty quickly, so even if you are checking on her A Lot, there is a very good chance you won't be around when she delivers. The problem with this, is what if she, like 25% of her counterparts, runs into medical problems? It would be very very tramatizing to your children to end up with a dead sow on your hands when everyone wakes up in the morning.

It is a very sad thing, one of those things that almost no one wants to think about, but it is a very real reality.

Generally, I think most recues and Humane Societies are looking to build long term fostering relationships, where the foster families become part of the rescue network. Not just to serve as a kids science project. That may sound really harsh, and I know it is your intention to help, but I think most rescue networks would look at your interest as being just that.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
homeschoolmama said:
I know this is a strange question, but does anyone ever foster out pregnant piggies? Like from rescues or humane societies?
My SPCA fostered out 2 GPs to me because I thought they were pregnant, Luckily, when I took them to my Exotic vet, we found out that they weren't pregnant. They just had fat/flab bulges from age and lack of exercise. However, they were willing to allow me to foster these girls through their pregnancies because I knew more then they did (even then their vet) about GPs, their care, housing and illnesses.

The only way to get this opportunity is to volunteer at the SPCA or at a rescue. You must prove that you are responsible and reliable. No caring rescue will foster out a pregnant animal to someone they don't know. After all they could make the animal's situation worse instead of better.

I semi-volunteer at my SPCA to take care of the small animals like rabbits, GPs, hamsters, etc... I am not an official volunteer but they all know me. When they have small animals, I am there every day with veggies and hay in tow. I spend time handling the animals to socialize them, bring them toys and keep an eye on their health. When one gets adopted I switch around cages so that they all get the maximum amount of room possible. The director calls me whenever they get questions about the GPs and Rabbits and they give out my number to pet owners with concerns about their pet. If one of the Shelter GPs or rabbits needs to go to the exotic vet I do the transport and usually pay the bill.

It's because of my devotion and willingness to communicate with the staff that I can now point to any small animal say, I'm taking this one to foster to the vet or I've found this one a home and simply walk out with it, no questions asked.

My adoption policy is stricter then the SPCA and they know it. They know that any animal that ends up in my care will be better treated and better homed then they could do themselves. You need to try to do the same. Make yourself a person they can trust and you will get your foster.

BIG WARNING - ask anyone, it's hard to give up a foster, REALLY hard! It about killed me to have one of my fosters die during the evacuation, nearly lose the other and end up adopting her out. They were the hardest of all the fosters I took in. Probably because we had been through so much together during the evacuation.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I can see your points. My son is 10, and my daughter almost 6 so they aren't quite that young. We have been helping out at the local humane society for about 3 years now... we come in twice a week to clean cages, walk dogs & help feed/love the cats. They know us & the kids, and have asked several times about our fostering pets. Unfortunately this particular shelter rarely gets anything other than dogs, cats & the occasional bird and we aren't comfortable fostering a predator with our piggies in the house.

So maybe we ought to look into finding a shelter that has more small animals to be helping at? We have considered offering our home as a foster place for piggies in the past, but to be quite honest are afraid of the stories we've heard about piggies being left on people's back steps & such. Our home is quite small, and we could come up with room to house one or two piggies, but no more... and we were afraid that wouldn't sound quite as helpful as it ought to???

C&K

Cavy Slave
You may need to find a different shelter, but with children at 6 and 10, I know that I would be very very careful about the whole what if the mom does not make it factor. Really really think this over. I know whenever we have lost a pet in my house, we where devistated for a long time, and the foster will feel like a family pet. I lost my pigs when I was a little girl, and it nearly ripped a part of my soul out. Your kids are going to be loving and watching with baited breath for cute little guinea babies. If they walk down one morning, find mom dead, and a baby half hanging out, I stand by saying this could be very very tramatic.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that's a very good point. It's one thing for me to say "well, sometimes it' happens." and think that it could be a life-lesson in why we don't breed animals. It'd be a whole 'nother thing to have to deal with a traumatized little girl for several months as she relives it in her dreams. (sigh)

I found out just last week that there's a small guinea pig rescue within 10 minutes of our house. Maybe we should talk to her & see if we can help her out at all. Since she's a smaller rescue, maybe fostering one sick or traumatized piggie at a time would actually be helpful to her??? And we could definitely help with things like cleaning cages & such... we do that already at the humane society! We called to see what her adoption policy was, and she was soooo helpful & sweet :)