Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Advice, Stories...

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
Since the morning sickness thread had a lot of insight, I thought having a thread that would cover more area's of advice about pregnancy and such would be good.

I don't get out much here, and I rarely get to talk about this kind of stuff with anyone other than my husband or my mother, so support and things are hard to come by for me... Just that one thread has been so much help to me. I would love to hear more from all you with experience, or first timers too!

As soon as I get ultrasound photo's I will post them! Don't know yet if it is a boy or a girl either. But, will soon! This will be my third child (8 years since my last), but my fifth pregnancy. I have had two miscarriages:guilty:

Anyway, I would love to hear any advice, neat wives tales, general pregnancy talk, etc. You won't believe how therapeutic it would be for me.

Oh and once I fin out the gender, I would love name ideas we are stumped!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
I have had conflicting results from the old wives tales tests. The ring on a string thing said boy, the heart beat says girl. So, who knows! The 13th I will know though! If it wasn't for cost's, I would say just let it be a mystery until the arrival. But, we can't afford to run out that day and buy all blue or all pink stuff. Finding unisex stuff is very hard. Barely anything decent to choose from.

Of course my mother is sooooo confident it is a girl, she bought all pink stuff for my shower presents. Even got her best friend in on it! My husband prefers a boy, but he really is happy with either as long as it is healthy. We just use it to irritate eachother when talking about "he" or "she" at eachother..hehe

For some unknown reason... he seems to think that second trimester means all glowing smiles and feeling SUPER time. I don't know who told him that nonsense (no doubt some men he works with), but Ifeel worse right now than ever..haha My round legaments are killing me, I can't sleep worth a poo, have to pee ever five seconds, still puking, my nose is stuffy all the time, my skin has went to pot and I feel about as sexy as an 89 year old man in a speedo! If he finds this "happy glowing feeling SUPER" place, he should tell me how to get there!..haha

I should start taking bets on the gender now..hehe

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Me and all my friends mixed pee in draino in all our pregnancies. I am sure it is probably some weird coincidence, but it got our baby genders right every single time. Pretty wild. I can't remember now exactly how to do it, gonna have to go have a look real quick.

Edited: Here it is, if you dare ;)
Pregnancy Old Wives Tales

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Finding unisex stuff is very hard. Barely anything decent to choose from.
Not finding a lot of good stuff in green, yellow, and white?

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
No.... the unisex stuff isn't as cute..haha There is some pretty white stuff, but it has been a real challenge finding things that could go either way. Sure there's onsies, but the regular outfits are a bit lame in unisex.

I heard the draino test had to be done with the old style of draino. I am sure there asre some chemical ways to see the gender, just not sure I want to touch some of that stuff...haha The Chinese calendar thing says it is a girl, but I did it for my past children an it got my daughter as being a boy, and I should have been a boy too according to that thing..hehe

Okay this Zofran stuff is disappointing! Just had to make a mad dash to the bathroom to be sick again.. grrr!:grumpy:

Any advice on how to get my hubby to read a book about labor coaching? I am threatening to get a doula if he doesn't start researching! Last thing I need is to coach him on how to coach me while in labor. With the way he works, and the other two kids the classes around here aren't really an option either.

hippymom

Cavy Slave
have you ever tried the Chinese Gender Predictor calendars? Do a search online for one - they're fairly accurate :yep

Congrats on the baby!!

OreosMum

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your pregnancy!! I'm a birth doula, so any questions you may have, feel free to ask!

The online gender predictors are fun, albeit not that accurate all the time. The Drano one I'll have to caution you, however, since mixing Drano and urine can put out a harmful fume. I wouldn't recommend this test at all.

hippymom

Cavy Slave
Yeah, not so accurate... my last one said 'boy' and I had twin girls :lol

fairysari

Cavy Slave
The Birth Partner by Simkin. If he only reads one book, make it that one! And don't just threaten to get a doula - do it! She's not going to replace your husband at the birth, but she will make your life, and his, easier. And, she would be a another person to talk to and support you, which you said you need more of.

I also love reading the birth stories in the first half of Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. They give so much confidence about the birthing process.

DzBigNutz

Cavy Slave
old wifes tails are not true at all i had a horiable birth expeeriance fore 19 hours
good luck to u and i hope youre ultrasund tells you wat you want to here!

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Okay, here is the most important advice ever: if you get a colicky baby that will not sleep, put her in a baby seat/carrier on the floor in front of the dishwasher and run that dishwasher. I washed a load of dishes THREE times one day! I said "her" because the colicky baby was my daughter and I am also giving your mother the benefit of the doubt. I hope she kept her receipts though. ;)

The most interesting thing about my pregnancy was that my oldest son was born when I was 25 and my daughter was born 20 years later. :eye-poppi I was veeeeery tired. The other interesting fact is that I always knew beforehand whether my baby was a boy or a girl. Sometimes I just know. My Mom and I predicted correctly the sex of all ten of her grandchildren so it is possible that your Mother just KNOWS. Do you have a preference?

I made a list of all the names people suggested to me after I had medical confirmation that it was a girl and I pinned the list to my cubicle wall at work. I added and crossed off until I knew that her name was Haley June. You could make a list here. That would be fun.

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice!

Well... mom was wrong! It's a BOY! So, now we have to get some blue clothes..haha

Still sick... nothing is working and it is taking it's toll.

I can feel the baby moving now. I was beginning to get worried and he started moving the day before the ultrasound. Hasn't stopped much since! Very active lil guy.

Still no name though, not even close to one. We can't agree on any name right now..haha So, for now he is still called Baby Boo.

I would love a Doula, but they are pretty expensive around here. $500.00 may not be much to a lot of people, but for us thats a lot. Plus, the closest ones are about 45 minutes away (and thats speeding). Being that they only give partial refunds if they miss the birth, that makes me insecure. I did get that book "The Birth Partner". He skims it on the weekends. I have us signed up for a childbirth class too.

I just don't want to do this alone again. Last time with my ex husband, he sat in the chair and wanted to read a magazine while I delivered, he was no help during the laboring at all either. With my first, my sister and grandmother was there, and my grandmother is the type that feels you should be quite and polite the whole time. Needless to say, I would love to have some help this last time..haha I do NOT want an epidural. For me it is not worth the pain of getting it. Either it doesn't work at all, or it only works for about an hour. So, not going to do it this time.

^dawn^

Cavy Slave
Yay! A boy! That's great. I have a girl and a boy. I know what you mean about the epidural. I had trouble with it both times with my kids. I ended up having both by c-section so I didn't have a choice but to have it. We had a harder time choosing a name for our little boy. I think girl names are a little easier. Good luck with everything. :)

OreosMum

Cavy Slave
Check out BellyWomen.net, you may be able to find a cheap or free doula on there in your area. If not, contact a doula and talk to her, she may be able to put you on a sliding scale or take payments. :)

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link. There aren't any in my area. The one closest only serves a small area an is a post-partum doula. Oh well.. :( I will have to whip in into shape. Luckily I have done this twice before. One great experience, one very bad experience. If i was a first time mom, I would take out a loan for a doula!..haha

Oh.. all the stuff to buy. I had nothing for babies anymore. It's been 8 years since I have given birth. We have to start from the ground up. So far we have the tub, crib mattress, blankets, a few outfits, grooming kit, diaper bag and one set of bottles (starter Playtex set). A few odds and ends, but still got a HUGE amount to go!

I get a bit depressed thinking about it too. My sister only had to buy a few small things when she had her kids. She was gifted everything else. My sister in law, same thing. In fact I don't think they once bought a pack of diapers!!!! Must be nice! My family is all wrapped up on my sister and her kids. I am the black sheep because of my father. My inlaws refuse to have anything to do with us because of I am Hebrew. It's like... What does it matter!!?? It is a baby... it deserves all the attention all the other babies in the families got. My mother tries to make up for it. But, she can't afford to. She is the only one that doesn't look at my kids any differently. I never thought people could be like that until I had my own children. How they can plainly disregard one child in a family and favor another so much more. And I feel guilty about it. I wished my kids didn't have to feel a bit looked over you know.

Oh well.. our little immediate family has a lot of love to give the new baby.