Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay prefers orchard grass to timothy hay...is that a problem?

mac73

Cavy Slave
I bought the girls Oxbow orchard grass and timothy hay this past weekend. I bought the grass just see if they like it....now that is all they want to eat. One hayrack is full of grass and the other is full timothy. I have refilled the grass hayrack repeated times...the other is still full. I even witnessed Cupcake jumping into the grass hayrack....IN THE RACK!!! Crazy pig!!! Do they have to have timothy hay or will orchard grass be fine? (I still have a huge bag of timothy that they are going to have to eat first!)

That's fine. Guinea pigs need any type of grass hay 24/7. Grass hays include timothy, orchard, bluegrass, brome, etc.
Orchard is softer and sweeter than timothy, and many pigs prefer it.

Last edited:
It's fine for them to eat only Orchard Grass. Guinea pigs need a grass hay 24/7 and Orchard Grass and Timothy Hay (along with some other hays I can't think of this second) and both grass hays. Orchard Grass is much softer than most Timothy Hayfects and it's better for people with asthma. My guinea pigs have been eating only Orchard Grass for a long time and they love it!

Also, it can be a safety issue if your guinea pig is jumping in the hay rack because she might get her foot stuck in one of the holes and hurt herself so you will want to block off the openings with and extra piece of coroplast, or I used a cut up manila file folder and it works great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.