Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Pre-chopping veggies...

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
So on my vet visit today, she reminded me to feed lots of, and a good variety of veggies.
I've been mostly giving green peppers and lettuce only, just out of convenience because my last few months were unexpectedly hectic. (I know, that's no excuse, I feel terrible for not giving them as much as they should have been getting, but that's why I'm trying to make a plan.)

I know the word "FRESH" is very important when talking about veggies
And I was thinking literally chopping up a huge bowl of salad, with romaine, carrots, peppers, maybe some peas and little bits of cucumber, and various other things at the beginning of each week, and then just feeding out of that container of veggies until they run out.

Would there be any harm in doing something like this? I mean, I wouldn't feed them anything that I wouldn't eat, so if by the end of the week it still looks fresh enough for me, would it be okay for them?

I chop up food for a few days in a row and separate it into different Tupperwares for each day. That way I know they are getting the right amount of veggies and the right type of veggies per day. Also I can make sure they are getting a good variety. I was afraid that if i just had a bowl in the fridge that the heavy things like peppers and tomatoes would sink to the bottom.

A week might be a stretch but you'll be able to tell how the veggies are when you try. I find that a few days is all I can pre-prepare before the veggies aren't looking so 'fresh'. So what I aim to do is twice a week make a large stir-fry for myself and at the same time get extra veggies for my piggies. Same prep for the piggies' veg except mine go in the wok and theirs go in the fridge! That way we both get the veggies we need to stay healthy :)

You can chop and mix some things together and they'll be ok, and others will go mushy and contaminate the whole batch. And like Inle_Rabbit said, the heavy stuff can sink to the bottom.

When we're going out of town, I mix all the leafy stuff and put it in serving size bags for the pet sitter (you wouldn't need to do that step). I make another mix of heavier stuff that doesn't go bad (carrots, celery, etc). Things that tend to leak or go mushy (tomatoes, cut bell peppers, etc) I put in their own containers to be dipped out as needed. Takes up a little more room in the fridge, but gets all the chopping out of the way at once.

Oh, separating them is a good idea.
Thanks everyone for the input, I'm off to make a piggy salad!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.