Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pottying in food bowl

strigercake

Cavy Slave
My baby guinea pigs poo and pee in their food bowl. I have tried moving the bowl to different areas of the cage thinking they might want to use that corner for their business but they just continue. How do I stop them from doing this?

I am sure this is also annoying the older pigs also. I have one specific young one that does this.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Mine have an occasional poo in an empty food bowl. Get the gravity feeders or the crocks you can hang on the cage grids.

I have tried moving the food bowl away from the corners but it doesn't help. I did put a litter pan in the corner when I moved the food bowl but they still want to go in the food bowl. ARGGGH! I think I am going to have to get the feeders that you have to hang. I don't think there will be no way he can get to that. But knowing this pig (he is a climber), he will figure something out to try to out-smart me.

Baby pigs, will most often crawl up into the food bowl-either to just get in the way of any adults or just have easy access. They're also notorious for pooping and peeing whereever and whenever they feel like it. Their mom, if they're still housed with her will start showing them where she does her business and soon the babies will follow suit. Mine did this for about the first 3 weeks, then when they turned 4 weeks there was a definite improvement.
They'll eventually learn not to do their business in the food bowl.
Be patient and Good Luck!

I have the boar by himself since he is a loner. He is almost 2 months old. Shouldn't he have realized by now that he shouldn't be doing this or will it take more time?

Some of us from the rescue were just talking about this the other night. When my pigs eat from the bowl, they put their paws up on the edge. They could have the poop on their paws and are therefore dropping it off the paws and not actually pooping in the cage.

I would definitely get a crock to hang, he deserves to use it as his potty if he can get his little bum up there. Also, when my pigs were younger they would pee and poop everywhere including on me, they don't do it so much anymore. There is a good possibility he will grow out of it.

Mine had a hanging food dish. Found more poop in that than I did with the crock that was on the ground. That would also support the poop on paws theory.

I hope he outgrows it. He has never went potty on me as of yet, as I notice the signs and get him back to his cage before we have an ooops. I have actually watched him go to his bowl and poo in it. Silly pig.

Put two food bowls in the cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.