Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Potty Training

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Can anyone please give me a few tips on how to potty train my pigs? I have two litter boxes in the cage on the areas they use most, but they move away and don't use the boxes! They poop EVERYWHERE though, not just in one spot. I fill the boxes with newspaper and hay.Please help?

Newspaper shouldn't be used, Aspen or Carefresh are better. Just about all you can do is but boxes with hay in them, other than that, they will just go everywhere. I've set up a large potty area in may cage though, where they go all the time, they go no where else in the cage other than there, but I didn't train them to do that, it just happens that is where they like to sleep and eat, therefore go to the bathroom.

I've tried the shavings too...Didn't work either. They are still going everywhere.

Thanks though.

No I meant that newspaper is bad because it can be slippery for pigs and tends to get really messy, wet, and nasty. Bedding is much better for pigs, not to make them go to the bathroom there.

I haven't tried potty training, I sweep my piggy's cage out probably twice a day. He seems to poop where he sleeps and in his hay pile. Other than a few poops spread throughout the cage, they seem to go there.
Another thing I've heard works is to put all the poops when you sleep, into the area you want them to poo. Might help them figure it out. Piggys can be stubborn though.

Thanks. I'm going to try that! ;-)

You can try a "kitchen" they won't always poo there but it helps a lot! Basically a box, with some kind of liner (either bedding or a fleece blanket) and then put the hay, pellets and veggies in there....

Also if there's ONE spot where they tend to poo, put a "tidy pad" underneath it. My boy likes to poo in his waffle block house thingy, so I just put a little potty pad underneath it, dump the poo off at night, throw it in the laundry basket and replace!

Your piggy won't be FULLY potty trained, but these tips should help. No matter what, please stop using news paper - it's not safe or healthy for the pigs!

Already removed the newspaper! ;-) Thanks you guys.

I find just placing a few poops in the trays when cleaning helps let them know where to go the toliet.

I use cat litter trays with carefresh then hay on top and put in the corner with a fleece tent over the top and water bottle in there too. certainly doesn't catch all the poo but it helps alot and it keeps the hay off the rest of my fleece too.

My boys have a litter pan with carefresh inside, and topped off with a little hay since they tend to poop where they eat. Their hay racks are just beside it. I don't know whether it's the different texture of the carefresh compared to the fleece, but 90% of their poops and about 95% of the pee goes in the litter pan. I also have a little fleece forest just above it to give them extra poop privacy, hehe. Putting hay wherever you want them to go is usually your best bet though, as they tend to go where they eat as others have said.

No matter how to configure the litter box/kitchen area, pigs are going to poop everywhere. That's just the way they are. At least pig poops are easy to clean up!

Thank u everyone for the advice! ;-)

Why would you think that I would think you are being a smart alec?

Pigs will poop where they spend the most time--this isn't a new concept. If your kitchen area is huge and your pigs spend most of their time there, then yes, they will poop mostly there. But doesn't a huge kitchen area kind of defeat the purpose of using fleece? I had a very large kitchen area for awhile, but it was a hassle to clean it out every few days. I would much rather vacuum my fleece daily.

Your system looks great, and I am glad it is working out for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.