Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Potty pan litter, what do you use?

MySmallZoo

Cavy Slave
I was curious about the different types of materials used for litter in potty pans.

I have 3 piggies and they produce a lot of poo!
I purchased one of those 3 drawer plastic storage organizers and fill them all of them with clumpable kitty litter. I have to swap them out 2x a day so it helps to have 3 drawers. The slots on the kitty scoopers are to wide for piggy poo so I sift the litter in an old wire colander.
My girls (Reece, Brownie and Butterscotch) are very good at using their litter pan. I use fleece to line their cage and I can count on one hand the number of poo poo's left on the "floor" after 1 whole day. A few were probably tracked out.

I've not read in the forum yet of anyone using clumpable kitty litter so I'm hoping it's safe.

Sure does work great . .

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
If the kitter litter is clay based, you need to take it out now! It's very unhealthy to breathe in. I use cellsorb/carefresh in my litterpans.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You definitely need to NOT use clumpable kitty litter. Carefresh is safe as is Yesterday's News. Other forum members use wood pellets, aspen or kiln dried pine shavings. If the litter you use clumps, imagine what it would do in your pig's body if he/she licked it off their feet. You really don't want clay clumps in piggy's tummy. As fourbwabbys said, it's also not really good for them to inhale any dust from the litter.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I use a layer of Yesterday's News and then kiln-dried pine shavings. The YN keeps the ammonia odor down so I only change my litter on the third day now. I am using the bottom of my super Pet large cage for a litter box. I have 7 girls.

DSCF1314.jpg

twinkies

Cavy Slave
I use aspen. I have 3 piggies and I do have 3 litter boxes. 2 are side-by-side and 1 under their haybin. It works great and I have to change it twice a week.

MySmallZoo

Cavy Slave
Ok, I took the clay clumpable kitty litter out of the piggies cage. The guy at the *ahem* pet store said it should be ok. . . .

In my defense though that was before I found you guys to "learn me the proper care ways" :D

I've only been a cavy slave for a year this June.

I went to the store and . . .I hope this stuff is ok. I bought "Feline Pine". It's 100% pure pine pellets. The girls were very curious about it when I placed a potty pan in their cage with it. They did potty in it but not before nibbling a on a few. So Is this stuff ok?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Feline Pine should be fine for them. You'll probably notice that the more they use the potty, you'll have a layer of sawdust in the bottom of the pan.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Feline Pine is suitable. I have used it before but I don't like it as it breaks down too fast and ends up a sawdust mess. I like Critter Care or Carefresh for my litter pans.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
I use Feline Pine in all my litter pans, 4 in total. It does break down rather quickly into saw dust but I only use a small amount to last 3 to 4 days and change it out. I also add some hay to the top of it all just to help make it a little softer for the pigs feet.

I have found a trick to... should you have problems where the saw dust sticks to the pan when it is wet. First spray the pan with vegetable cooking spray (not to thick) and then pour the litter in. This will help keep it from sticking. I have tried this in my cat litter pans with clay litter and seems to work pretty well.