Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Potentially neutering our piggie

Dudleydoo

Cavy Slave
Last week my husband and I noticed that Dudley's poops were pointed and clumped together and we think it was an impaction because after we cleaned him out he is beginning to poop like normal again.

Anyway, we saw on multiple websites that as males get older this tends to become a problem for them and it becomes either part of daily care for males or you can have them neutered and that can sometimes help the problem a little bit.

So, my husband and I have decided that we would like to look into having him neutered for that reason as well as we want to be able to keep our options open when we are looking for a second pig for him - for some reason we are finding more females than males that need homes right now.

I was just wondering though if he is too old to be neutered without having a severe medical emergency? I mean, I don't mind having to clean out his stuff every day so neutering isn't completely necessary, I suppose. I just don't want to put him in danger if he isn't young enough. I know 3 years isn't that old for a guinea pig, but he definitely isn't a baby anymore.

Thanks in advance!

If he's in good health and you've got an experienced exotic vet, it should be fine. Surgery for any reason carries risks, and you'll have to decide if they're acceptable.

A three year old healthy pig should not be getting impacted. What's his diet? What size is his cage? Both can contribute to impaction. It's good you are thinking of getting a companion, since pigs with companions are less likely to have impaction problems.

You should be aware, though, that neutering does not always stop a pig from being impacted. Neutering to keep him with a female is a fine idea, but don't expect that it will solve the impaction problem. Exercise, diet, and companionship are more likely to help with that.

There was possibly another reason for the episode of impaction that he had. Pointed poops (usually because they are softer) can be caused by an intestinal upset. Maybe they were softer than usual and he couldn't express them all.

He is still doing pointed poops, so we are going to try and find a vet around us that we can take him to if it doesn't clear up soon.

I had read a lot about impaction and saw many people saying their guinea pig first had it when it was around 3, so I thought that was a normal age, but I guess not.

He eats Oxbow Cavy Cuisine pellets (1/8 cup of pellets a day) and a mix of Oxbow western timothy hay and Jojo's Best western timothy hay (unlimited). For veggies we give him romaine lettuce/red leaf/green leaf lettuce, cilantro, green pepper, one baby carrot, one baby tomato (2-3 times a week), a sugar snap pea twice a week and a slice or two of cucumber - I know he gets at least a cup of veggies every day. We have given him one small slice of apple one time during the week and each Sunday we have given him one small slice of an orange. He doesn't get store bought treats or anything other than his veggies, hay and pellets.

His cage is small at the moment, my husband and I are waiting for the Coroplast we want to be back in stock (will be picking it up on Saturday) so we can build the base for the C & C cage - we already have the grids put together, we just need the base.

The cage he is in is bigger than the cage he was in for the two months he was at the shelter, but I think it equals out to be about 5 sq ft, but we bought it to put him in it while we were getting the other cage together. We have only had him for 3 weeks this Saturday and up until last week his poops were completely normal. We cut back on his veggies hoping that maybe he was getting too much because at the shelter he was only getting a handful of spinach each day...but that made the poops crumbly and dry.

We are planning to get him a companion, but we want to get this under some sort of control first so that we aren't trying to figure things out for him at the same time as trying to introduce him to a new pig. We are definitely going to get him a companion though, just want to get this stuff straightened around before we do that - he has never lived with another guinea pig so I don't want to stress him out.

I forgot to ask why having a companion can help with this issue. I have thought a lot about it, and to be honest, I really don't understand how adding a second pig can help with his bowel issues. Can someone please explain it to me so that I understand?

Once in awhile I've noticed looser than usual poop and thought it might be from cucumbers. Since I stopped offering it, they've had normal poop.

No, I understand about the exercise thing but as of right now he is fairly active during floor time, he runs around and pushes the cat toys around constantly. He is out of his cage more than he is in his cage.

We are going to cut back on the veggies and just give him a leaf or two of red leaf lettuce tonight and see if that helps him at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.