Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Post neutering question.

ZiggyDiggy

Cavy Slave
I had one of my boys neutered two days ago so that in 6 weeks he can hopefully live well with my 7 sows. He is recovering very well! He’s eating, drinking and using the restroom as usual! My vet was wonderful but I’m just wanting to know what your experience was like if/when you had your piggies neutered. He has a tad bit of swelling but not much and he was not prescribed pain meds but doesn’t act or seem like he’s in pain at all. I’m just curious to know what to expect if anything. So far it’s good though but I just get nervous. Thank
You all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I have had 2 boars neutered.

The first had some slight complications due to a reduction in his eating & drinking on day 3 through about day 7...but we had critical care and pedialyte on hand. He bounced back and is now a happy, healthy 3 year old who has lived with up to 11 females in a room size cage. His presence actually helped reduce squabbles between 2 of the females.

The second was just done two weeks ago...another rescue which wasn't planned for, but needed a home ASAP. We will introduce him to some of the females probably around Christmas. The females range in age from 2 to 7.

So far, he has done great. He had pain med & an antibiotic. Just watching for any infection or abscess development at incision site and weighing him regularly to make sure he is eating enough to maintain (or gain) weight.

ZiggyDiggy

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the response! I’m keeping a close watch on my guy!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the response! I’m keeping a close watch on my guy!

Good luck to both you and him! Keep us posted on how he is doing.

I also can't wait to hear about how it goes when he finally gets to meet the ladies.

Neutering usually goes well and sometimes the hardest part is just finding a competent vet who has the experience to perform the surgery.

ZiggyDiggy

Cavy Slave
Thank you! So far so good! He’s healing up very well!! He is popcorning and eating like a pig haha. He will be able to go with the ladies the end of December. :)