Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Post Eye Removal

BellyBoop

Cavy Slave
Over a month ago, my guinea pig had to have one of her eyes removed due to the root of one of her tooths overgrowing. Since then she's had many ups and downs, but now she seems to be on the path to recovery. She's still being supplemented with some syringe feeding, she's on pain medication and antibiotics. She can eat lettuce, slices of apple and pellets. However, she has a difficult time eating other veggies such as peppers and cucumbers. It's hard for her to bite them, even cut up into small pieces. As well, since her surgery, she cannot eat hay. She desperately tries to but can't get a grasp on it. Her molars have been grinded three times, the last time was when her eye was removed. I had the vet check her teeth again and he says he can't see a problem. We believe it may have to do with that one side of her head. She's had infection in the eye socket and while it is almost all gone, there might just be sensitivity from her eye straight down to her teeth/mouth. I really need her to eat hay because all the while her molars are growing again and we don't want that obviously. The vet is amazing but even he can't give me a straight answer to why she can't eat some veggies or her hay. Can anyone help? Will she ever fully recover?

Did the vet trim her incisors? Not being able to grasp food usually indicates that the incisors are too short to grab the food, not that there is a problem with the molars.

Did the vet trim her incisors? Not being able to grasp food usually indicates that the incisors are too short to grab the food, not that there is a problem with the molars.

Yes, he said he did a tiny bit. He knew that her incisors were not a problem but trimmed them a tiny bit to relieve pressure they may, along with all her other teeth, have been putting on eachother thereby causing the offending root to push her eye out.

But this was over a month ago, they should have grown back to normal size already in that case. And he told me that even if they were too short, it still shouldn't cause her not to eat because guinea pigs without front teeth can still pick up hay.

He's right that some guinea pigs without teeth can learn to pick up hay. But if they've had teeth, and gotten used to eating with them, some of them have a hard time adjusting to a different length. There are dozens of posters on guinea pig forums who have had to hand feed for weeks because their pigs' incisors were trimmed too short.

My own feeling is that the incisors almost NEVER should be trimmed unless they're growing unevenly as a result of molar problems or some genetic defect.

It also worries me that he removed her eye instead of dealing with her tooth problems -- he's attacking the problem from the end rather than the beginning. Removal of the eye will do nothing to help the issues that arise from elongated roots, and certainly isn't the treatment of choice for them. In addition to not having the root problems solved, she's now lost an eye that probably had nothing wrong with it.

Elongated roots generally get planed at regular intervals so that the pig can eat normally. Sometimes a chin sling is used to help keep the jaw in the proper position, and to assist in wearing the molars evenly.

If it were me, I'd be getting another opinion from a different vet. I'd want the treatment for this to go in a very different direction than your vet is taking.

Oh I didn't mention the eye did have something wrong with it. The elongated root had pushed it to the point that the eye was hard and buldging out causing her pain. The eye was past being saved.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.