Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Possibly pregnant guinea pig pee and poo

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ok so I just found out my male piggies is female and I think she is pregnant she has been with a male for a little over a week. Her pee is kinda weir like redish brown and her poo in strung and clumped when it comes out well some of it is normal I'm post a picture below the second picture is it when it dries it doesn't really look like blood it just looks weird idk how to explain it

Attachments

image.jpg

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig pee oxidizes after the guinea pig urinates, when its wet is it that color or was it dry when you saw the weird color? You do need to seperate the male from female even if she is already pregnant. Female pigs go in to heat after giving birth so its possible she could have a back to back pregnancy if he isn't seperated. Have you been feeding her any new foods, what have you been feeding her?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The urine is normal. The poop is not. What exactly are you feeding her? What kind of hay and how much? What kind of pellets and how much? What kind of veggies and how much of each.

She may not be pregnant. Guinea pigs only come into heat every 14-16 days, so if she's been with a male a week, she may have escaped. But do separate them right now, if you haven't already.

allieh26

Cavy Slave
The same thing happened to me, I got 2 girls from a pet store (I know now never again to buy from a store) and one turned out to be make. I seperated them and thankfully dodged a bullet and she didn't end up pregnant. I am getting my male neutered when he is old enough so they can be reunited. I agree with them that the pee is normal but the poop is not. It's probably somethin in her diet

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Guinea pig pee oxidizes after the guinea pig urinates, when its wet is it that color or was it dry when you saw the weird color? You do need to seperate the male from female even if she is already pregnant. Female pigs go in to heat after giving birth so its possible she could have a back to back pregnancy if he isn't seperated. Have you been feeding her any new foods, what have you been feeding her?

it it was like that a few min after she peed and I have been giving her Timothy hay traditional pellets soon I'll give her alphalfa pellets and a cup of baby spring mix and some powdered vitamin C on a cucumber

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I haven't been feeding her anything weird is they purple lettuce maybe a cause of it because they baby spring mix has some type of red lettuce in it

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
What brand of timothy pellets? You dont need to switch her to alfalfa pellets, you can just give her some parsley for calcium. Also instead of the vitamin C pill, why not give her green bell pepper? Those have lots of vitamin C. Be careful with the cucumber, too much is too bad for them because its so watery

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My girl has poops like that and has for at least a couple months now. Exactly what are you giving her and how much of each? How old is she? If she's 6 mo or older, no alfalfa pellets as it's high in calcium. Baby spring mix contains some leaves that are very high in calcium, and should not be given daily in a pig 6 mo and older.

Check out https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what you can feed and how often.

I'm on day 2 of having taken away all veggies to see if her poop firms up and looks more normal. Then bpatters told me to re-introduce each one 1 at a time and watch the poops to see if any thing is the culprit. My vet did a fecal exam and ruled out parasites. Today her poops are looking better though still a tad on the small side. So looks like I many be on to something that she's eating.

Artista

Cavy Slave
What brand of timothy pellets? You dont need to switch her to alfalfa pellets, you can just give her some parsley for calcium. Also instead of the vitamin C pill, why not give her green bell pepper? Those have lots of vitamin C. Be careful with the cucumber, too much is too bad for them because its so watery

Too much cucumber can also cause bloat. It's best to be given as a treat than a daily thing. I'd like to know how old the pig is because if she's 6 mo or older, such things as parsley should be treated as a treat due to high calcium.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
The urine is normal. The poop is not. What exactly are you feeding her? What kind of hay and how much? What kind of pellets and how much? What kind of veggies and how much of each.

She may not be pregnant. Guinea pigs only come into heat every 14-16 days, so if she's been with a male a week, she may have escaped. But do separate them right now, if you haven't already.
ok I don't know where exactly the hay came from I got it from the person who I bought my pig from and she is eating oxbow pellets her bowl is always full so I'm not exactly sure how much and I feed her a Baby spring mix a cup a day and powdered vitamin C on a cucumber with her daily lettuce

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My girl has poops like that and has for at least a couple months now. Exactly what are you giving her and how much of each? How old is she? If she's 6 mo or older, no alfalfa pellets as it's high in calcium. Baby spring mix contains some leaves that are very high in calcium, and should not be given daily in a pig 6 mo and older.

Check out https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what you can feed and how often.

I'm on day 2 of having taken away all veggies to see if her poop firms up and looks more normal. Then bpatters told me to re-introduce each one 1 at a time and watch the poops to see if any thing is the culprit. My vet did a fecal exam and ruled out parasites. Today her poops are looking better though still a tad on the small side. So looks like I many be on to something that she's eating.

ok thank you so much I will cut out the veggies for a couple of days but how will she get her normal vitamin C or dose she not need it for a couple of days

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I think she said somewhere she thinks shes a few weeks Artista :)

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Here's the spring mix ingredients sorry the quality is bad

Attachments

image.jpg

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I would cut out the spring mix. Also it has romaine which has the same calcium level as other lettuces but causes pigs to excrete more calcium which can lead to stones. Some daily veggies to give your pigs are green/red leaf lettuce, green bell pepper, half of a cherry tomato, and green beans. Thats what my pigs get and I switch between fresh green beans and tomatoes. Carrots and apples should be given less frequently because of their high sugar amounts. Check out that link [MENTION=27627]Artista[/MENTION] gave you to see a veggie chart.

Artista

Cavy Slave
ok thank you so much I will cut out the veggies for a couple of days but how will she get her normal vitamin C or dose she not need it for a couple of days

I feed my girl KMS pellets which has vitamin C. If the pellets you give her don't have vitamin C then vitamin C tablet is what folks use for cases where their pigs won't eat peppers.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Too much cucumber can also cause bloat. It's best to be given as a treat than a daily thing. I'd like to know how old the pig is because if she's 6 mo or older, such things as parsley should be treated as a treat due to high calcium.
I have 6 under 6 months and 4 over 6 months

Artista

Cavy Slave
I have 6 under 6 months and 4 over 6 months

Maybe separate the older and younger ones so the older aren't getting things like parsley and high calcium veggies daily.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I feed my girl KMS pellets which has vitamin C. If the pellets you give her don't have vitamin C then vitamin C tablet is what folks use for cases where their pigs won't eat peppers.
Ohh ok I'm pretty sure my pellets do how much vitamin C does it need to have mine says it has ascordic acid (vitamin C) 400mg/kg

Artista

Cavy Slave
Oxbow pellets is fine so going a couple days without veggies to figure out which one is the culprit is fine. Tomorrow I'll give Mooshy green peppers only and watch her poops. Then on Fri I'll add in lettuce, and on--- giving each one a couple of days to show itself with the poops.

My 18 mo girl gets daily (before this...)

AM: Green leaf lettuce, 1/4 green pepper, and radicchio
PM: Green leaf lettuce, 1 baby carrot, 1 or 2 cherry tomatoes, belgium endive and if I have any, a snow pea pod, string bean piece.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
How old is the specific guinea pig in question? If she's one of the ones who's over 6 months, filling the bowl is a bad idea. Pigs over 8 months should only get 1/8 cup of pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.