Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Possibly hurt! Lila not using back legs + twitching!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
My foster Piggy Lila isn't using her back legs, and she plops herself down at spots around the cage and leans to one side and then twitches her leg.

I have a video almost done uploading to YouTube.

I don't know what to do. When we were cleaning her cage, we had a family friend put her back in and she jumped from his hands and we think she hurt her foot on her Hidey Hut.

I AM SO SCARED, WE NEED HELP! WHAT DO WE DO!

Do you have a vet you can bring her to? That would be my first choice

I figured we should take her to a vet.

We will try and work that out, and call a vet to see when the earliest is we can get her in.

[video=youtube;oQVIhvrTUq4]

Maybe post your question on the guinea lynx forums since you're not getting answers here?

That't not all that she is doing. She is walking with her hind legs dragging behind her and you can tell that she wants to stand up.

I would get her to a vet asap. Are there any vets open that you can take her to today?

I don't think that there is much we can do. Your vet will need to do x-rays and such, are there any emergency vets near you? With that she does not look like she will be able to eat and such, so I don't think you will be able to wait until you get to the vet in a few days.

With that she does not look like she will be able to eat and such, so I don't think you will be able to wait until you get to the vet in a few days.

What do you mean? I should get her to a vet ASAP, right?

I know I should. And I will call tomorrow if they are open to see what is the absolute earliest we can get her in. I promise.

It seems like she's able to walk on her leg pretty well and stand on it which I think is good. I would take her to a vet just to check that everything is okay. If you leave her alone and watch her see if she goes eat and drink. Is she a single piggy or does she have a companion? Once you find out what the doctor says let us know what they tell you. Make sure the doctor you see is a small animal or exotic pet doctor, I would ask before you take them. I hope everything goes well!

Zuidy,
Hi. One of our girls (Winnie) jumped out of my stepson's hands into her cage and smacked down full on her face. She was doing pretty much the same thing Lila is doing. Laying on her side... trying to move, but dragging her hind legs. I looked it up online immediately, freaking out. I read alot about "guinea pig dragging hind legs". And I also read that vets might very well advise you to put them down. On your video I saw when you touched Lila's hind foot, she jerked it. So, she's obviously not paralized. So, of course, I will now advise you to bring her to a vet. But if you can't, maybe this will help. Winnie was eating, drinking, pooping. If Lila is doing that... Maybe her body just got a shock that will take time to heal. I took someones advise and waited 3 days, watching my poor baby drag her self around the cage. I seperated her from her herd and moved her legs myself daily. Gave her a bath with too much water and made her swim. I'm happy to say Winnie made a full recovery within the week. Now, again... if Lila isn't eating, drinking (I had to lower one of our water bottles for Winnie) or pooping, get her to the vets. But if she is acting totally normal except for dragging her hind legs... give her a few days. Hope this helps. I know that everyone can't just up and run their pigs to the vets anytime something bad happens.

Completely agree with Habs7123. When a similar incident happened to me, many vets told me to keep in eye on her to see any improvements and to make sure she's eating, drinking and pooping. If she is then no matter what physical disability she may have and is not in pain they can still have a happy life.

Zuidy,
Hi. One of our girls (Winnie) jumped out of my stepson's hands into her cage and smacked down full on her face. She was doing pretty much the same thing Lila is doing. Laying on her side... trying to move, but dragging her hind legs. I looked it up online immediately, freaking out. I read alot about "guinea pig dragging hind legs". And I also read that vets might very well advise you to put them down. On your video I saw when you touched Lila's hind foot, she jerked it. So, she's obviously not paralized. So, of course, I will now advise you to bring her to a vet. But if you can't, maybe this will help. Winnie was eating, drinking, pooping. If Lila is doing that... Maybe her body just got a shock that will take time to heal. I took someones advise and waited 3 days, watching my poor baby drag her self around the cage. I seperated her from her herd and moved her legs myself daily. Gave her a bath with too much water and made her swim. I'm happy to say Winnie made a full recovery within the week. Now, again... if Lila isn't eating, drinking (I had to lower one of our water bottles for Winnie) or pooping, get her to the vets. But if she is acting totally normal except for dragging her hind legs... give her a few days. Hope this helps. I know that everyone can't just up and run their pigs to the vets anytime something bad happens.

I guess the only different thing is her dragging her legs and NOT eating. I am doing what I can to get her to eat.

She is eating hay, not her veggies. I even put the bowl of veggies close to her. She takes a bit of Radicchio if hand fed. I will try and give her some fresh veggies right now. I don't think she will try to drink water, but I will move her bottle closer to her and water down her veggies. I or my mom will hand feed her every day.

I won't be able to schedule an appointment with my vet until Monday at least, as they aren't open on Sundays so I can't call. The last time we got an appointment within the week, so let's just keep my schedule open and let the vet decide the earliest that Lila can get checked.

Waiting...... Not always easy, especially if it is all you can do......

Yes, watch her carefully, she might just be bruised or have a sprain. If she's a foster pig, you need to contact whoever you are fostering for immediately, and follow their directions. The rescue (or whomever) is responsible for vet bills, you are just supposed to feed, hay, and house.

It seems like she's able to walk on her leg pretty well and stand on it which I think is good. I would take her to a vet just to check that everything is okay. If you leave her alone and watch her see if she goes eat and drink. Is she a single piggy or does she have a companion? Once you find out what the doctor says let us know what they tell you. Make sure the doctor you see is a small animal or exotic pet doctor, I would ask before you take them. I hope everything goes well!

I don't know what I'm thanking you for. I went to reply with quote and hit the "thanks" button instead. :p

Lila is by herself right now. She's a rescue of Zuidy's and was in the process of being re-homed. She was able to take the piggy away from an irresponsible owner... I saw the thread where she posted this whole story as it was taking place. So I have some insight. ;)

@Zuidy That is disconcerting. Has she seen the vet at all yet while she's been in your care? If not, I might be concerned about a lot more than just her foot.

Last edited:
Yes, watch her carefully, she might just be bruised or have a sprain. If she's a foster pig, you need to contact whoever you are fostering for immediately, and follow their directions. The rescue (or whomever) is responsible for vet bills, you are just supposed to feed, hay, and house.

She rescued the piggy herself. She's not fostering for a rescue.

She rescued the piggy herself. She's not fostering for a rescue.

I am a he, haha.

In response to your other post, yes it would have been smart to get her to the vet right when we got her. However, she looked healthy to me and I was planning on getting her to a vet anyway in the future before we adopted her out. Yes I have worried about other things besides her foot, but I just want her to make it until I can get her to the vet.

@Petlovr

Talking to her owner isn't an option. She was irresponsible and that is why I rescued Lila in the first place. I don't care about vet bills-- I care about the Piggy. I don't care who's responsibility it is-- I care about the Piggy.

__

I just gave her fresh veggies and *attempted* to give her water from a syringe. She wouldn't take water or Veggies from my hand, but she has eaten a piece of Lettuce on her own. I have a towel draped over 1 side of her cage so we don't need to fiddle with hideys.

I have all of her Veggies set and she will be getting Yellow Pepper, Carrot chips, Cilantro, and Iceberg lettuce (she needs red leaf, I know, I am going to change in a bit)

All veggies are watered down.

__

Also, she has been itching non-stop just today. And my sister spotted a flea sitting on a bar of her cage. So we think she has fleas, but at this point shouldn't that be the least of my worries? I dunno if she even has fleas, but how should I treat and go about healing that up? Anything topical would be the best idea. :)

She needs to see a vet today. It looks like she's got more going on than just the rear leg issues and she might be suffering. Please log off the computer and take her in to an emergency vet straight away.

Who are you fostering her for? If it's a rescue, I'm sure they have someone you can call to get info on who to take her in to, but no matter what, that pig needs to see a vet NOW.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.