Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Possibly adopting a Texel

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I found a listing for three adorable Texel piggies on Craigslist...I've wanted a Texel for a long time, as my own hair is long and curly and looks a lot like theirs. lol The ad didn't say much, but I emailed the poster, asked how old they were, their genders, etc. Ideally I'd like a single female or neutered male to introduce to Quee and Kwee...right now the cage is 2x4, but we also build a 2x1 loft that we ended up taking down, so all I'd have to do is cut down one wall of the cage and one on the loft, and connect them and add the extra grids to make it a 2x5. In the meantime, I have Quee's old store cage for quarantine and to avoid cramping them all in a single 2x4. I'm not sure where I'd do introductions, though; Quee and Kwee are already quite familiar with the entire apartment. lol

Anyway, photos!

awww, ive got a texel, shes the most laid back piggie ive ever met, she loves to be handled but squeals if shes on her own(the others dont let her in the hut) but they have lovely temprements:) good look!❤️

I have two texels and they have very sweet temperaments but it's a LOT of work to care for their fur. One of mine has thick fur and the other has finer fur. The thick furred one is very hard to groom. I've resorted to cutting both of their fur shorter to manage easier. Their back ends tend to get soiled. I'd only house texels on fleece since bedding can get tangled in their fur....I'd make sure the ad is not from a breeder.

Those are adorable!! FYI you've gotta wait 5 months before you can have a male neutered, and another month for all the sperm to die so if they're still pups I suggest getting a girl! :)

I have two texels and they have very sweet temperaments but it's a LOT of work to care for their fur.
Heh, I know about caring for kinked, curly hair...just look at mine. lol

Those are adorable!! FYI you've gotta wait 5 months before you can have a male neutered, and another month for all the sperm to die so if they're still pups I suggest getting a girl! :)
Yeah, I think I'll get a female. The pups are 5 weeks old according to the poster.

I hope intros go well...Quee is 4 years old and Kwee is about 6 months...hopefully a 5-week texel pup won't upset the dominance order too much. :)

Heh, I know about caring for kinked, curly hair...just look at mine. lol

Yeah, I think I'll get a female. The pups are 5 weeks old according to the poster.

I hope intros go well...Quee is 4 years old and Kwee is about 6 months...hopefully a 5-week texel pup won't upset the dominance order too much. :)

Your handsome, kinked, curly hair has a definite advantage over guinea pig kinked, curly hair that tends to mop up droppings. :) I gave my texels half baths today and trimmed their back fur. As long as I bathe them twice a month, they usually stay pretty tidy. I can always tell when they need a bath. They start getting that wet dog smell. None of my other shorter haired one get that smell. It's not really stinky but just noticeable.

You probably already know this but, Texel guinea pig's hair does require good care. So I would strongly suggest buying guinea pig shampoo and conditioner when you get them :) Just a tip. And good luck!

You probably already know this but, Texel guinea pig's hair does require good care. So I would strongly suggest buying guinea pig shampoo and conditioner when you get them :) Just a tip. And good luck!

I've never used conditioners on their fur; only shampoo. I towel dry as much as I can, brush it out with a very wide toothed comb and blow dry on cool setting.

Oh, Pinky, how true! A Texel's hair may "appear" to need conditioner, but it's not recommended. That is just the texture of the hair......it's not actually dry.

Pinky
, did we ever come to a consensus of opinion about using shears vs. clippers? Clippers would be so much easier and neater, but I'm concerned that they will frighten Maya more than necessary? I have a hair appointment tomorrow evening and am thinking of taking Maya with me to see what they suggest.

I don't think so. I still use scissors because I know the sound of the clippers would freak mine out. I trimmed them after their bath this time. It was a little easier because I didn't end up having hair all over the place and they sat still while I trimmed it.

I got a text from the lady who has the texels about an hour before I was supposed to head out there (she lives about half an hour from me)...apparently she just had a death in the family (as in, today) and she went to be with her family. Very sad to hear :(

Anyway, I guess I'll have to wait til next weekend for the pig.

Got another email, looks like we'll probably meet up tomorrow morning. I work 3pm to 11pm, but my girlfriend is home all day, so she should be able to take care of the new piggie.

Cant wait for you to get the piggie! I love texels!

Turns out last Tuesday didn't work out...but today is the day! :) I'm heading out to pick up the piggie in about 15 minutes. I'll let you know how it goes when I come back.

Good luck on getting your new piggie !

Ohhhh!! Texels are just so precious looking! I hope all goes smoothly with you getting the cutie and everything. Please post pics and let us know how everything goes! :D

I have a merino guinea pig, she is like a texel with curly fur, except she has a crest on her head. I use small scissors to cut her fur, and have 3 different types of brushes for her. I just keep her fur trimmed so it doesn't touch the floor, and to keep her cooler I think it is better that way. I hope all goes well, and you get the texel piggy.

Sorry for the late update, but long story short, Curly is home! :)

The drive out there was pretty interesting...I live in an apartment kinda in the middle between the suburbs and downtown. The lady who had the piggies lives about half an hour away, in the middle of Amish country. It was quite amusing having to pass horse-drawn carriages on the freeway. lol

Anyway, she had a couple Abyssinian piggies and what looked like a teddy, and Curly was the only texel. The lady said she was six weeks old, and even clipped her nails before I took her, and handed me some pellets in a plastic bag. No idea what they are, but they look very much like the Oxbow pellets I feed mine. I brought her home, and let her meet Kwee and Quee on the floor. We were honestly quite nervous for a bit; it didn't seem to go nearly as smoothly as when we introduced Quee and Kwee to each other. There was quite a bit of the two older piggies chasing Curly out of the boxes she would hide in, and jumping all over her and other dominance stuff that caused her to squeak like crazy. But eventually they more or less left each other alone, and I figured that if they were going to fight for real, they would have done it within the hour that we had them together on the floor. So, we put them all together in the freshly cleaned cage with a new pigloo, so each pig has one. There was a bit of pigloo-shuffling, as the three of them ran into and out of different pigloos and chased each other around.

At that point I had to go to work for 4 hours, so I left them a bunch of hay and pellets and hoped for the best.

Turns out they must have gotten along pretty well :) When I got home, I lifted up the pigloos and found Kwee and Curly cuddling in one pigloo, with Quee in another one and the last one empty.

Curly is definitely a different piggie...for starters, she's nearly impossible to keep a grip on. The instant she has an opportunity, she gets loose and finds her way into places that Quee and Kwee wouldn't even think of...under the couch, under the kitchen counter, between boxes that we specifically placed to provide a barrier...it's adorable, but we've probably spent a good half hour today just trying to catch her. Clearly we can't trust her for floor time like we can with Quee and Kwee just yet. lol

Also, she likes nose kisses :3

She's adorable but are you sure you didn't get her from a breeder? PA Amish country is notorious for pet mills.

she sounds like she has a fantastically adorable personality! And she's super cute to boot ^.^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.