Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Possible URI, Need help until Vet visit

Lilycollegepig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Quick disclaimer: Please don't attack me for asking for home remedies for URI. I am asking only because she is going to the vet tomorrow and I want her to at least be a little more comfortable tonight before we go tomorrow. There is no animal hospital around to get to that helps exotics that isn't 40 mins away. Plus I don't have a car. Trust me, I just found out she is sick today and am doing everything in my power to help as best as I know how. But we have to wait for a ride tomorrow.

Now, does anyone have any ideas on how to make my poor Rosie comfortable for tonight? She has been sneezing and lethargic with some crust near her eyes, which is why I am thinking it is a URI. She is still eating quite a bit. I am giving her romaine, which is her favorite, and she is munching it down like nothing is wrong. She has plenty of food and fresh water too. I haven't heard any wheezing so I am hoping I caught this early on. Should I keep her warm/cool tonight? Anything else I should do? Any suggestions would be great since this is the first sick piggie I have had.

Thanks,
Mandy

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are no home remedies for a URI. She needs to see a vet for an antibiotic.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Quick disclaimer: Please don't attack me for asking for home remedies for URI. I am asking only because she is going to the vet tomorrow and I want her to at least be a little more comfortable tonight before we go tomorrow. There is no animal hospital around to get to that helps exotics that isn't 40 mins away. Plus I don't have a car. Trust me, I just found out she is sick today and am doing everything in my power to help as best as I know how. But we have to wait for a ride tomorrow.

Now, does anyone have any ideas on how to make my poor Rosie comfortable for tonight? She has been sneezing and lethargic with some crust near her eyes, which is why I am thinking it is a URI. She is still eating quite a bit. I am giving her romaine, which is her favorite, and she is munching it down like nothing is wrong. She has plenty of food and fresh water too. I haven't heard any wheezing so I am hoping I caught this early on. Should I keep her warm/cool tonight? Anything else I should do? Any suggestions would be great since this is the first sick piggie I have had.

Thanks,
Mandy
It sounds like you are making her very comfortable, unfortunately treatment wise you can't do much of anything until your piggy is on medication. I'm not really the person to ask about care during a uri like temperature. But there is an app called pet coach and you can consult with a veterinarian about care for little or no fees. Otherwise it sounds like she is comfortable and happy. Just keep an eye on her through the night making sure she doesn't all of a sudden go down hill. Hope everything turns out okay at the vet tomorrow. ❤

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The most important thing that you can do before the vet visit is keep her eating and drinking, and it sounds like you've got a handle on that. If you haven't seen her drinking you can put a little extra water on her lettuce. And make sure you're seeing an exotics vet, everyday vets generally don't know how to treat pigs that well. Best wishes to both of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.