Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Possible Power Outage Expected

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
We are expecting some nasty wintery weather here in the south. Our 'city' is not really equipped to handle snow. Our greatest concern is that our power may go out. Unfortunately, we do not have any emergency backup here other than our gas fireplace that is more decorative than heat producing. I have some cages we can move them into and throw some extra fleece blankets...but not sure how much that will really do.

Any suggestions on how to keep the animals warm? We have 2 birds, 4 piggies, 1 rabbit, 2 dogs, and 1 bearded dragon.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Don't completely cover ANY cage. Covering a cage greatly reduces it's ventilation.
Cover half a cage and throw in fleece pieces and let them cuddle together. I would start finding/purchasing a generator. ASAP. You have animals that will NEED it. Put your dogs in sweaters and be prepared to swaddle them in blankets when they need it.

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Don't completely cover ANY cage. Covering a cage greatly reduces it's ventilation.
Cover half a cage and throw in fleece pieces and let them cuddle together. I would start finding/purchasing a generator. ASAP. You have animals that will NEED it. Put your dogs in sweaters and be prepared to swaddle them in blankets when they need it.

Thank you Mr Whistles! We will see if we can find a generator. Otherwise we may be huddling with them all as well!

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I have gas heat, and one day when my parents were gone and my papaw wasnt at his house it went out and i had to improvise with ways to keep the pigs warm when it was int he negatives outside.... I filled bottles with hot water and put socks over them and put them around their hideys... it makes it warm on the inside of their houses and they can go in there to keep warm... so i recommend doing that throughout your cages if you cant get a backup heat for your house... you can use bigger gallon jugs or pop bottles but make sure they are covered, it will keep them warm for about 2 hours and it will keep them from being burnt

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
I have gas heat, and one day when my parents were gone and my papaw wasnt at his house it went out and i had to improvise with ways to keep the pigs warm when it was int he negatives outside.... I filled bottles with hot water and put socks over them and put them around their hideys... it makes it warm on the inside of their houses and they can go in there to keep warm... so i recommend doing that throughout your cages if you cant get a backup heat for your house... you can use bigger gallon jugs or pop bottles but make sure they are covered, it will keep them warm for about 2 hours and it will keep them from being burnt

We too have gas heat and gas water heater. Those are great ideas to do a warming bottle. Thank you Courtneylushae!

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
yeah... my house gets cold super fast and it was an hour before my papaw could get home so i worked as fast as i could filling bottles up... make sure you have something to hold the outside with cos it kinda hurts to hold the bottle if your hands are cold...