Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury possible "nip" marks what to do?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
george (5 plus years old), kramer (9 mos old) and newman (4 plus years old) are living together in a 3X5. all are males. george is THE BOSS, and regularly has to prove it - he is frequently engaged in dominant behaviors - mounting, chasing, nose in the air, etc. kramer is very passive and shy. there are plenty of places for all of them to hide, and bungalows they can get a level up in. i expanded the cage from a 2x5 because the bickering was pretty intense. it's settle down some, but george is still a bully. . .

today, as i was doing weekly grooming, i noticed that kramer has some scabs on her behind -no blood, no cuts, just what appears to be healing bite/nip marks. no blood has been drawn, and there's never any fur-in-the-air-flying-fighting. i am concerned about poor kramer, though. should i think about separating them? is there any way i should intervene? this isn't too terrible, but it's still bite marks, and i want to do what's best for all here. thanks!

Didn't you separate George out a few weeks ago and leave Kramer and Newman together, or am I misremembering that? If so, when and why did you put them back together?

thanks @bpatters. it's hard for even me to remember! george, kramer and newman have been together for many months now. jerry had been alone until recently when i found an older spayed female that he cottoned on to. the two of them at least are happy.

when i got george from the rescue, he was mild mannered, missing two toes, a senior, and had chronic impaction. he has surely come out of his shell, big time. he was pig number 3. when george was introduced to kramer and jerry, jerry was overly aggressive and had to be separated out because his biting on kramer drew blood. then we got newman and introduced him to jerry, which didn't work, and the introduced newman to george and kramer, which has worked okay, though not great. (oh, my - my head hurts! LOL!)

so, george, newman, and kramer in 3x5 - regular bickering, tho no bloodshed or serious fighting; jerry and elaine in 2x4 -getting alone very nicely

No, don't think about separating them.

Do you weigh them weekly? Is there any weight loss?

This week I noticed some slight weight loss in Kramer, so I'll weigh him every day this week to keep tabs on that. The others have been pretty stable weight wise. I was really wanting to keep them together, so thanks for that @foggycreekcavy . Any suggestions for any other interventions, or should I just continue to monitor weights? And if there is weight loss?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Kramer continues to lose weight, then most likely he is being bullied away from the food. You can add more food dishes and piles of veggies, or remove him and give him his veggies separately.

You might also want to make an appointment with the vet to make sure he is good health wise. If he still loses weight after all that, then consider removing him from the other boys.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.