Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs Possible Mites (About Vet Costs and Treatments)

Roo99

Cavy Slave
You don't have to shave them. The sequential treatment will take care of the lice and the nits.

This is what my vet recommended, because she said that just to be absolutely sure that we get all of the nits, this would be best. I respect and appreciate your opinion very much, and I am very grateful for all of your advice, but as this is what my vet recommended (who knows a lot about guinea pigs and is quite cavy savvy in her medical experience) I will be going with her instincts as she has seen and examined my pigs.

Please understand that I do not mean to offend you in any way, and don't take it personally. I trust my vet, and she is very good with pigs. I just figure I'd go with her gut and vet training on this one.

Toni has a definite case of lice, which she picked up at her rescue. She also has a possible URI, though it isn't severe. The vet said that her left lung sounded fine, but her right lung was a little heavy. Because Toni also had some little crusty patches around her nose and eyes, the vet suggested meds. She is on an oral antibiotic twice a day for 2 weeks to treat the URI, and they are both on topical Revolution, though the vet is administering that. On Monday, Toni will have to be shaved, but Griffin will be spared the embarassment as our vet found no adult lice on his body. They will both, however, be treated with Revolution which the vet gave them a prescription for.

Because of the lice, all of the fabric that they have come in contact with must be put in large plastic bags and kept in a warm place for a week, with no oxygen. Then, I will wash them really well and we can use them again.

Because it would be so expensive and time consuming to buy 3 or 4 new sets of fleece and towels for the next 2 weeks, the vet recommended that we lay newspaper down on the bottom of the cage and put a little bit of CareFRESH on top of that.

In 2 weeks, Toni and Griffin will go back to the vet to get their second topical treatment of Revolution, and that will (hopefully) kill off the last of the lice. Thank gosh this crappy day is nearly over.

Thank you all for your patience and advice. I really appreciate everything, and I will have some 'pigtures' up soon of Toni's new 'do!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I forgot what medication my vet gave Mr Whistles when he got infected with mites. It was pink/I had to give it to him via an oral sryinge.
I only had to give it to him about.....a month? Totally costs was about $200

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Of course you are free to do whatever you think best.

I think the shaving is overkill, and will unnecessarily stress the pig.

Revolution is a good choice. It will kill the lice, and any mites (in my experience pigs with lice often have mites as well, probably because of being stressed.)

Revolution can be bought online, at Pet Shed - Pet Supplies at Discount Prices! .

Roo99

Cavy Slave
I think the shaving is overkill, and will unnecessarily stress the pig.

I thought that the shaving might stress out Toni, and I was worried about it. However, I know that the rescue that I adopted her from shave guinea pigs that have lice, and at least for them, it turned out to be the best choice. I also asked the vet tech who shaves the pigs, and she said that it doesn't bother the pigs very much, and that it is over within minutes. If I thought that it wasn't in my pig's best interest, then I wouldn't have her shaved.

Also, foggycreekcavy, my vet had Revolution at her office, so she gave me 2 single doses. Thank you very much for the tip; I didn't think that you could buy Revolution online, because it is prescription only if I understand correctly. However, if I ever need some in the future, I'll be sure to refer to your link. I appreciate it!

And MrWhistles, the Revolution only cost me $15 for 2 doses. Hopefully if there are any mites, they will die as well. Thanks for that also, foggycreekcavy, I hadn't thought about mites accompanying the lice, but that does make sense.

Last edited:

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
And MrWhistles, the Revolution only cost me $15 for 2 doses. Hopefully if there are any mites, they will die as well. Thanks for that also, foggycreekcavy, I hadn't thought about mites accompanying the lice, but that does make sense.

I wish I knew about the Revolution. It doesn't look like the medication caused any harm to Mr. Whistles. Oh well, we all live and learn :)

Roo99

Cavy Slave
So sorry that it took me so long to post again. My computer died, and I just got a new one today.

As of today the piggies are doing fine. Just a few moments ago Toni was wheeking her head off for more vegetables (silly pig! She wanted a night-time snack).

Toni hair is growing back in quite nicely, and I only see the occasional scratch out of her and Griffin.

If your pigs are itching, I would definitely urge you to take them to the vet. I mean not just the occasional scratch, if it is getting excessive. Check them over very thoroughly and keep your eyes peeled for any small, wriggling worms. In my experience, they were sometimes seemingly still, but when watched for a long enough time, they moved slowly.

I would recommend Revolution most definitely, because it was great for my pigs. I am very pleased with my vet overall, though there was one thing that put me off a bit.

Mrs. Vet was holding Toni in a very awkward position. One hand was behind Toni's neck and the other on Toni's bum, with her stomach facing the ceiling and her body parallel to the floor. Clearly Toni did not approve, for she gave the vet a little warning nip. When the vet didn't set her down, Toni bit. Hard. She drew blood. Oh no! I wish that the vet had been paying better attention so that she could put Toni down in time. I have been given a few little nips. They don't hurt at all, but I know that it will in a couple of seconds if I don't set Toni down. I would've expected more of a vet, but I know that it might not have been her fault and mistakes can happen to anyone.