Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Possible Lice? Treatment options?

Tangled

Cavy Slave
Tonight, my partner was cuddling Worf and discovered tiny, white bugs crawling around in his fur. I did a bunch of research before coming here to post, and it looks like lice to me. I'm going to the petstore tomorrow for some Advantage, but my question is is there anything else I can do for him in the meantime?

And is there anything I can do to reassure my partner that these are not transferable to humans? I had no idea he would freak out so badly, but he's been in the shower since the discovery.

And lastly, could Worf having these lice and possible skin irritation be causing some of his unwillingness to be handled?

Be sure to get the older form of Advantage -- Advantage II has something in it that guinea pigs can't tolerate. Check out www.guinealynx.info/lice.html for other possible treatment options.

Lice are not transferable to humans. If you get one on you, it may bite and leave a local reaction, but it won't set up housekeeping in your hair the way that lice that infect humans do.

And yes, they could definitely cause both skin irritation and dislike of being handled.

Hi Tangled. I am dealing with lice too and found Revolution is another alternative to Advantage. On the site bpatters gave you Revolution is at the bottom of the page Selamectin -- (Revolution). I promise the lice are species specific and will not infest humans! It makes my skin crawl too (just thinking about them) but so far we have had no issues other then itchy piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.