Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Possible lethal white baby

The bottom feels like there may be one or 2 there as well

When the baby gets to about 3 weeks old you should take it into an exotic vet who is good with rodent dentistry so they can asses how many back teeth it has and where they are located, as this requires a special tool and can not be done at home. The number of molars it has and whether or not they have a corresponding bottom tooth to grind against will determine what kind of care you will need to provide as it weans and beyond.

Oh, bless him. I agree with @Soecara. That'd be a good plan.

He does look like a lethal to me :/

Well he is still alive and doing well going to try to find a exotic vet to check him out in a couple weeks

Why do you think this is a lethal piggie? To me he just looks like a white guinea with red eyes.
Does he eat normal? Or do you have to force feed him?

Why do you think this is a lethal piggie? To me he just looks like a white guinea with red eyes.
Does he eat normal? Or do you have to force feed him?
Because it's eyes are small and she said it might not have teeth

But she also said she had upper front teeth and could feel but not see something that might be teeth below. On the first page I saw a pigture with what seem normal eyes to me. In the last pigture the eyes are looking small but my piggies do the same when almost sleeping.

But she also said she had upper front teeth and could feel but not see something that might be teeth below. On the first page I saw a pigture with what seem normal eyes to me. In the last pigture the eyes are looking small but my piggies do the same when almost sleeping.
Lethals have very little to no teeth. Did you read what @RoddentCuddles said? Her lethal has some teeth

Yes I did read that. But have you seen the pictures of the parents? To get a lethal pig both parents must cary the lethal gene. ( and then there us a 1 in 4 chance to get a lethal) An indicator of the lethal gene is roaning in the fur and I don't see that in either parent. But it can be invisible in white fur.
Not all white piggies are lethals and even if he doesn't make it it is not sure that is because he is a lethal, there are so many more things that can go wrong.
That is why I wanted to know if the piggie is eating normaly or if he needs help with that.

Yes I did read that. But have you seen the pictures of the parents? To get a lethal pig both parents must cary the lethal gene. ( and then there us a 1 in 4 chance to get a lethal) An indicator of the lethal gene is roaning in the fur and I don't see that in either parent. But it can be invisible in white fur.
Not all white piggies are lethals and even if he doesn't make it it is not sure that is because he is a lethal, there are so many more things that can go wrong.
That is why I wanted to know if the piggie is eating normaly or if he needs help with that.
Ok

If you look at the picture of the mother there is also a wider view of the sibling, who appears to have roaning on its bottom.

Yes not all pink-eyed white (PEW) guinea pigs are lethals in fact most aren't, but if there is a PEW with microphthalmia, possible missing teeth, largely white parents, and a sibling with roaning it is almost certain that they are a lethal.

Not all lethals need to be assisted with eating (but truly independent lethals are very uncommon), it really depends on the severity of their deformities particularly those of the teeth. That is why it is important to have it's molars assessed before it weans to determine if hand feeding will be necessary and if it is then how dependent on these feeding's it will be.

On a side note @Samantha_Lyman have you been able to determine the babies genders yet?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.